Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am issuing a challenge to all knitters and crocheters to make and donate a minimum of 50 caps to a charity by Christmas. Please check with the charity before you start working to make sure of just what they can use. In some areas it might be more difficult to line up the right charity, there have been a couple of threads here with suggestions. I am going to make preemie caps, I didn't realize that there was such a need for them, plus they work up quickly and take up so little yarn. Who is going to join me?
If you have any links to share with either patterns or charities please post them and I will add the links to this post.
When you are finished knitting, snap a pic and post it along with the name of the charity.

suggestions:
http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Affiliate/Little-Hats-Big-Hearts_UCM_470829_SubHomePage.jsp
http://www.givingartfully.com/campaigns/precious-precious-project/ - has links to preemie patterns as well as other info

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1Marian1 said:
Anyone have a basic pattern for preemie hats
to use with flat needles or non circular needles, please share.
The second link above has links for one crocheted and three knitted caps for preemies, they are all done in the round but it is easy to convert to flat. For knitting just add 2 stitches to the cast on (for the seam) and work every other row in purl (for st st).

·
Registered
13,821 Posts
I know I'll never make fifty but I do want to make as many as I can. Is there an address for an international charity that will give them to newborns in third world countries? They could save the lives of many infants who might otherwise die of hypothermia. Who knew knitting could literally save lives!!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1Marian1 said:
Gigimomliz, thank you so much for you timely response. Won't be able to knit 50 , but will give it best shot for 25.
What ever you can make, it will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Count me in...I'm knitting hats now & I'm aiming to complete 100+ by Christmas...They will be donated to Homeless Families Foundation in Columbus Ohio in time for their annual Christmas party in early December. I have been doing this for nearly 20 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom