Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
II just purchased the Lion Brand Fun Stix and want to purchase some nice acrylic yarn to use. I will be making a scarf. Can anyone recommend a good arcylic yarn.How many stitches would I need, also, the one person I know used 3 different yarns in 3 colors. She use all 3 colors creating one stitich

Help I just want one yarn.
Joan

·
Registered
226 Posts
Try Lion Brand Acrylic, Red Heart Acrylic, many to choose from. Just Google acrylic yarn and you'll get more than you can choose from.

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
If you use just a worsted weight with such big needles, you'll get a sort netting effect. I've used big needles with novelty yarn and worsted held togrther which looks nice in plain garter stitch. The novelty yarn was made from recycled sari threads and kind of shaggy. You could try a super bulky yarn like Lion Brand Jiffy Thick and Quick or their Hometown USA and use one strand. I really got my size 50 needles for broomstick crochet, but did wind up using them for knitted scarfs which were fun and fast.

·
Registered
27,124 Posts
Have you considered using a chunky or bulky weight yarn? That is what I use when I get out the big boys. Even with bulky yarn I get a loose airy knit. jinx

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
A bulky yarn such as Lionbrand's Homespun would work with those large needles, if you only want to use one strand of yarn. Otherwise, I'd use two or three of any worsted weight.

Or, you could shop around for some of the thicker novelty yarns that keep coming out. Maybe even use one of those alone, or with a strand of worsted along with it...

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
The number of stitches you use depends on the gauge of your yarn and how wide you want the scarf. I usually make mine about 10 inches wide, because that's what i like. And I've used anywhere from 10 stitches for bulky yarn and big needles to 30 stitches for small needles and fine yarn.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
When I made my scarf for my swap, the lady wanted light wool so I purchased 5 ply yarn and used a larger needle so it made the scarf look lacy.It turned out to be a lovely light scarf but it was also long.

·
Registered
9,632 Posts
Go to Ravelry and search for scarves. You can select the needle size you want to use from the filters on the left. I did it recently for size 35 needles. Lion Brand probably has patterns too. There are a number of different kinds of patterns written for their size 50 Speed Stix. All of Lion Brand's patterns are on Ravelry, so they will be included in the Results of your Ravelry Search.
You could probably use up to 8 strands of worsted or 4 bulky with the size 50 needles.
These are the search results on Ravelry for scarves knit with size 50 needles: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=knitting&view=captioned_thumbs&query=Scarf&sort=best&needles=25.0mm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom