Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back when I was 17 years old, and I'm 67 now, I crocheted this afghan for my husband's mother (he wasn't my husband then). His Mom used it often back then, and then we married and moved away years later, and I haven't thought about it for a long time. Recently we were cleaning out her things as she has passed away, and guess what? She had saved the afghan from all that time ago. It is beginning to pill, but other than that, still looks good after 50 years. How about that?!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
How wonderful! It's beautiful and to think of the history. So glad you still have it in your family.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
It's lovely. It shows how much she appreciated it, that she kept it all of these years. You could use one of those fabric shavers to shave the pills off and it looks as if it is in excellent condition.

Just wondering if you remember what yarn you used back then. I know Red Heart has been around for ages, and wears like iron.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Very beautiful and to think your MIL kept it all these years! She was waiting til her "old age" to use it! LOL! Some women members of my family often did this. You would make something nice cuz she was cold, as an example, and you make it, she ooohs and aaahhhs over it and uses it that day and then I never saw it again! When they passed away there it was packed in with every thing else they were going to use when they got old. I had one set (3 of them) of distant cousins who never married and lived together in the farm house they grew up in up in Maine, USA. When the last sister died they found slips with patches on them, underwear the same way, with brand new slips and underwear in their dressers! They also found $31,000 stuffed in the wood stove! Glad they didnt try to keep warm with the wood stove with that amount of $$ in there during a hard Maine winter! Happy Knitting Everyone! Karebear BTW you did a beautiful job and you should be honored that your MIL kept it for you all these years. She really treasured that blanket and who wouldnt? It is gorgeous! I love the purple! Great Job!

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
What a keepsake. I have an afghan my grandmother made (I'm 85 now) that has to be at least 60 or more years old as she died when I was 20 or 21 and didn't do any needlework her last few years. It is crocheted granny squares of "Germantown" wool. Some squares have had to be sewn together again but other than that it is in good shape. Also have the "sloppy Joe" sweater she and I made together when I was 14. I used it as a ski sweater in much later years. The yarn was certainly durable without any synthetic additives.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom