Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to knitting thanks to my mom and she loves this site. I have a question regarding the directions for puff rib pattern. Row one says this: P2, *yo, k1, yo, P2; rep from star to end. 7 sts. What does 7 sts mean? What it is directing me to do? Thank you!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Kristinaaho said:
Hi everyone. I am new to knitting thanks to my mom and she loves this site. I have a question regarding the directions for puff rib pattern. Row one says this: P2, *yo, k1, yo, P2; rep from star to end. 7 sts. What does 7 sts mean? What it is directing me to do? Thank you!
The 7 sts just means that at the end of that row you will have 7 sts on your needles. Just a stitch count.

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
Kristinaaho said:
sts is an abbreviation for stitches.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Kristinaaho said:
Hi everyone. I am new to knitting thanks to my mom and she loves this site.
I have a question regarding the directions for puff rib pattern.
Row one says this: P2, *yo, k1, yo, P2; rep from star to end. 7 sts.
What does 7 sts mean? What it is directing me to do? Thank you!
The 7 stitches is what you will have when you complete the row.
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/puffrib.htm

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The number at the end of a row states how many stitches you should have when the row is done. It is there for your confidence that you did the row correctly. It would help is the words "in all" were added.

Carol J.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I have no clue... with out the pattern to look at 7 st could mean ... knit to the last 7 stitches.. or what every one else is talking about... if its a puff I don't see where there is any puffing going on... a little more information on the pattern itself is needed... Welcome to the forum and congrats on picking up knitting.. I know there are lots of very smart knitters here that can help with your questions..

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Galaxycraft posted the pattern link earlier in the post.
Ronie said:
I have no clue... with out the pattern to look at 7 st could mean ... knit to the last 7 stitches.. or what every one else is talking about... if its a puff I don't see where there is any puffing going on... a little more information on the pattern itself is needed... Welcome to the forum and congrats on picking up knitting.. I know there are lots of very smart knitters here that can help with your questions..

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
galaxycraft said:
The 7 stitches is what you will have when you complete the row.
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/stitches/puffrib.htm
bonster said:
I don't see where it says "7 stitches" in the pattern. Am I missing something?
No you aren't missing anything.
I suspect as the person has said they are just learning, that the 7sts was written there as a stitch count for the person.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Thanks. I was temporarily confused (doesn't take much)!
galaxycraft said:
No you aren't missing anything.
I suspect as the person has said they are just learning, that the 7sts was written there as a stitch count for the person.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
You do the pattern from star to star to the end of the row. When you complete the last repeat you should have 7 stitches remaining. I am working on the Wedding Shaw and this is what is in my pattern each row.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Thanks for the inputs here. When I started out, I attempted to copy various stitches, and sort of got the hang of it, but I still have to count new ones in sequence in my head!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for all your help! I got the pattern to work i think the author was just stating the number of the first stitches. I did look and I had correctly written the directions. It would have made more sense if they did that with ALL of the patterns. This was the only one that said that. Thank you!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom