Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Size 12" are good for Preemie hats and size 9" are good for socks, both for the knitter who prefers to use DPN's as little as possible. Like myself! :) ... Oh, by the way, I just started knitting mittens on bamboo dpn's and it's really not as daunting as one would believe. The wooden needles have a little more grab to them so the non working needle won't slip out while you're on another needle.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Socks and sometimes sleeves on baby sweaters or cuffs on larger sweaters. They also serve for the 2 circular needle method. Mine are bamboo because it is safer that way when working with smaller diameters.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions. I have a question: how do you make socks using such short needles?? When I think of socks on circulars I think about magic loop, which is definitely impossible with such short needles.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Cathryn 2ed,

Do you know where I can get sock patterns (preferably free, at least until I get better at it :)).

And this applies to anyone else--if you know of any sock patterns that use 9" circulars it would be great!

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
To Free2bme:
This first link is the pattern on which I learned. (you know the light dawns and you get it pattern) Not only free but easy math. You will never again be at a lost for sock size.

The second link is a 4 part video which shows you how to take the sock information and use it.
Note: in the video the gal uses double points but they are not necessary if you use the little 9".

http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

Part one:

Part two:

Part three:

Part four:

I hope you enjoy making socks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Cathryn 2ed,

Thank you sooo much for all this info. I will take a gander at all of the links. I have sock yarn and would prefer to knit on the 9" circulars.

Thanks again!! :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi triandesigns,

The 9" and 12" circulars can be found at this website, which is in the US: https://www.eknittingneedles.com/. And they have international shipping--$9 for shipping with orders of $15 minimum. They have 16" circulars as well.

I also found another video for knitting with 9" circulars. It has 8 videos, but for some reason video #6 has been removed. But she has a website through YouTube and her own. Here is the You Tube video link:
In case there's a problem with the link, the title is: How To Knit A Sock! Part 1 of 8 HD Quality Video. And her website is http://springersyarnnook.com/

Just as a side note I am learning soooo much from you guys. It was coincidental (or maybe not :)) about after seeing 9 and 12" circulars at the eknitting needles website that I inquired about what to make with them. I wish I had known about knitting socks with these circulars sooner!!

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
I tried these out at a yarn store I was visiting one time and I found that my hands (old) don't like the short short shanks on these. Makes my hands cramp up because there isn't much to hold onto.

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
triandesigns said:
Yes I read somewhere just now that you have to hold them with your fingertips but having failed with four needles and struggled with the magic ring, I'm willing to try anything, especially for socks. Seams are okay but would still be better without if possible.
I have found they are just like any other needle that's new to me--it takes a little getting used to, but with practice, I wonder how I got along without them. :) By the way, I love the colorway in those socks in your photo!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom