Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to thank you all for the kind comments that you have made regarding the pics of garments that I posted. Some of you said that "I had inspired you" but all of you have inspired me to carry on knitting.
This past week I have been fighting my machine, my yarn, my color changer trying to complete a double bed Fairisle pram blanket.
I have done them before but this one has been a real pain, nothing has gone right. I was ready to give up but after your kind words, have gone back to the machine determined that I will master it.
It has trains, did have buses [ I think that the bus drivers went on strike so the buses have gone :lol: ] and a teddy. Thanks again for giving me the drive, excuse the pun, to carry on with it.
Sue x

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
susieknitter said:
I want to thank you all for the kind comments that you have made regarding the pics of garments that I posted. Some of you said that "I had inspired you" but all of you have inspired me to carry on knitting.
This past week I have been fighting my machine, my yarn, my color changer trying to complete a double bed Fairisle pram blanket.
I have done them before but this one has been a real pain, nothing has gone right. I was ready to give up but after your kind words, have gone back to the machine determined that I will master it.
It has trains, did have buses [ I think that the bus drivers went on strike so the buses have gone :lol: ] and a teddy. Thanks again for giving me the drive, excuse the pun, to carry on with it.
Sue x
hi Susie, you really do inspire me, Keep going! now what do you mean when you say a double bed blanket? I will put up a photo of my first fairisle
blanket, and you can let me know what you think as i dont know what to do about the floats /and curling edge ? regards maggie :D

Attachments

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Irish maggie said:
susieknitter said:
Sue x
hi Susie, you really do inspire me, Keep going! now what do you mean when you say a double bed blanket? I will put up a photo of my first fairisle
blanket, and you can let me know what you think as i dont know what to do about the floats /and curling edge ? regards maggie :D
Maggie, when I have done a main bed Fairisle blanket I have either, backed it with cotton fabric using a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine or, I have knitted a plain back for it which I have joined to the front on the knitting machine. This hides the floats and stops the edges from curling. To finish them off I then knit a rope, or similar type edging on them. Double bed Fairisle /Multi color rib/ Jacquard is when you use both the main bed knitting machine and the ribber together. It's a much firmer fabric with no floats and no curl. There should be instructions in your ribber book telling you how to do it, it is a little complicated but well worth trying. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I knit for Charity, the Blankets are 40inch x70inch .
Quite big and as you will see from my next pic i addes a Border ,but it is all so much extra work.
Love doing it but i was getting very tired and trying to make things easier so far i have made 12. But only 5 completed i will put up the next images soon .

Attachments

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Irish maggie said:
I knit for Charity, the Blankets are 40inch x70inch .
Quite big and as you will see from my next pic i addes a Border ,but it is all so much extra work.
Love doing it but i was getting very tired and trying to make things easier so far i have made 12. But only 5 completed i will put up the next images soon .
I think it's lovely Maggie, and it's so good of you to spend all the time and your yarn doing them for charity. You should be very proud. If I can come up with, a quick and easy way, to solve the problem that you have I will let you know. Maybe one of our other machine knitters will have a good idea.

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Hi Maggie, All your blankets are wonderful, and you really are very generous. The one you show the back on to show the floats, you could do a latch tool hook up securing the floats and sewing the yarn tails in.
Susie has a great idea to sew a backing on the ones with many long floats, this would help with the curling too. With your next long float fairisle design, you could secure the floats with your latch tool, latch the floats up after you knit the design then hang the last st tog with the st at the top of the design. If you want to calm a curl in the edges permanently one more option may be to knit on an edging like a pie crust edge for example, this is very simple to do. Just type in pie crust edge in the search engine and you'll find the link...
Long floats and curling edges are the reasons I learned to knit double bed fairisle or double jacquard. this is accomplished with a ribber and is not difficult as many knitters think. Another bonus with this technique is the finishing is often just stitching the end thread in. You're doing a great job.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
KateWood said:
Hi Maggie, All your blankets are wonderful, and you really are very generous. The one you show the back on to show the floats, you could do a latch tool hook up securing the floats and sewing the yarn tails in.
Susie has a great idea to sew a backing on the ones with many long floats, this would help with the curling too. With your next long float fairisle design, you could secure the floats with your latch tool, latch the floats up after you knit the design then hang the last st tog with the st at the top of the design. If you want to calm a curl in the edges permanently one more option may be to knit on an edging like a pie crust edge for example, this is very simple to do. Just type in pie crust edge in the search engine and you'll find the link...
Long floats and curling edges are the reasons I learned to knit double bed fairisle or double jacquard. this is accomplished with a ribber and is not difficult as many knitters think. Another bonus with this technique is the finishing is often just stitching the end thread in. You're doing a great job.
Kate thanks for your reply, i did try the pie crust and then still had to crochet it i will put that pic up next. I would love to do the double jacquardbut was told i cant do it on the KM260? would you know if that is correct? :|

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
You have the Brother 260 set, KH & KR? You can knit double jacquard on them. Judging from the work you have shown us, you are ready to learn this now. You will need the right color changer, a KRC900 or 1000 or the knitking comparable. Those cc models fit either the std or bulky machine. That's all you need other than the right gauge yarn and the punch cards. Double Jac on the bulky is going to knit a thicker fabric, think doubled even tripled sport weight, but its nice for things you want thick and warm...like blankets, some cardigans and jackets, scarfs hats mitts...Believe me, my 2 color jacquard cowl is not too heavy neither is my ribbed tuck st scarf. Your quick success with this technique on the bulky machines is understanding the yarns gauge and fiber that is acceptable for the pattern you want to knit.
There are patterns you can punch for DJ in the back of the punch card pattern books-colored ribs section. Do you have a pattern card book? If not, pm me and I can send you a email with a few samples of cards.
You can knit DJ in sport weight or light worsted weight yarn on your bulky.
If you have not tried to knit full needle rib yet buy a couple of skeins of I love that wool or Carons simply soft acrylic and give it a go, its easy. This way you can learn to knit FNR, then patterned FNR while you're waiting for your color changer. If you're so inclined at this time:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
susieknitter said:
Sue x
I know what you mean...I changed up machines this week. I put my Brother KH-230 away and set up my Juki 2400 Hi-Memory. The Juki is not an easy machine to run!!! I messed up and messed up and messed up.... but I won! I made made 2 hats and now I'm decorating them.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since you crochet try a row of SC and a row of reverse SC--it is also called crab or spider st. in some countries. You just SC from right to left instead of left to right. Try it for about 30 cm (12") and see if it helps. If not, rip it out and turn the blanket around so the other side faces you. Works for me!
Another fix isjust to put a section of the edge back on the km, single bed, right side facing and K 6 rows, bind off and let it curl the other way into a tube.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
As a machine knitter, all I can say is it is either a good machine knit week, or a bad one. Last week EVERYTHING that could go wrong, DID. This Week it seems to be smooth sailing. AND IT'S ON THE SAME DARN MACHINE. Go Figure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Each one has its own "piosonality", must be fed lubrication carefully, talked to nicely and kept free from sticky, cherrios coated little fingers, cat hair, bird feathers. The sun must not have too many spots (makes for more static electricity), and then they can be finicky. I fed mine an entire hank of eyelash yarn EON that I had thoroughly waxed. My daughter loves her scarf..hardly a dropped stitch. Same machine can balk at cotton yarn or evev sock yarn. Depends on the day. I think they start through menopause about one month before we do and get over it faster!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I finally finished the knitted hats. I finally remembered someones advice when knitting with more than one strand of 2/24 acrylic. I got a spray bottle that sprayed a fine mist and I sprayed my cone yarn before knitting with it. No more acting up!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to knitting machines. The fair isle technique does not work for us as we need to felt the finished product. I need to tuck the floats as we go and believe I am looking for some help in learning the full needle rib, multicolor, we have a Brother 260 with rubber, colour changer etc.

Can someone help me?

Thank you,
Adam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom