Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved a big box of yarn from Operation Marine Corps Kids to make up some baby stuff. Sorry...I forgot to take pix. anyhow, it's going to be a challenge because there is a bunch of random skeins in colors I wouldn't describe as very babyish. Burgundy and gold and brown and black. A lot of it is Red heart Supersaver. Now I don't have anything against a reasonably priced yarn but this stuff feels very stiff and coarse to me. So I'm wondering how I can make it feel softer. washing it does not seem to work. If I 'wreck' it with steam, will that that make it loosen up a bit?

·
Registered
181 Posts
This topic has been covered recently on a couple of threads so if you go to "search" and type in itchy yarn, scratchy yarn red heart etc, you'll find a number of entries with various ideas that work. Best wishes

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
Charlotte80 said:
I have used Red Heart Super Saver for years, mostly for Afghans. It softens after it is washed and dried.
Charlotte I hate to disagree but I must I have used that Red Heart Super Saver several times over the year and I have found some to be very unfriendly to the touch. Some colors are soft but like a dark green I just bought it to me would be a great scratching post for a cat. The reason for buying there is a class making some weaving projects for Christmas so the feel of it wont matter. I do have a afghan I made out of Super Saver and its been washed dozen of times has yet to get soft period. Its a cream color. So after time that yarn doesn't always soften up.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
missdeb42 said:
I recieved a big box of yarn from Operation Marine Corps Kids to make up some baby stuff. Sorry...I forgot to take pix. anyhow, it's going to be a challenge because there is a bunch of random skeins in colors I wouldn't describe as very babyish. Burgundy and gold and brown and black. A lot of it is Red heart Supersaver. Now I don't have anything against a reasonably priced yarn but this stuff feels very stiff and coarse to me. So I'm wondering how I can make it feel softer. washing it does not seem to work. If I 'wreck' it with steam, will that that make it loosen up a bit?
no one has addressed your question about 'wrecking' the yarn with steam. Usually called "killing it" Yes, it will soften up but will become very limp and no stretch at all so it will act more like a piece of woven fabric than a knit. I frequently do it for scarves or things I want a nice drapey look and feel and the stretch factor is not an issue. The yarn should Never be Killed til in the finished form and you need to make sure of your blocking sizes, shape, etc before you do the kill once killed that is it. No more changes.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
You could possibly try some of this yarn in a baby surprise jacket or another pattern, making it striped. These days, there seems to be a tendency to use colors other than the soft baby pinks, blues, yellow, greens for baby sweaters. These can be very cute. If you use some of these yarns for stripes, maybe you could use one rough color along with one, two or more of the softer yarns. You would be using up the "bad" yarn while making an acceptable sweater. Just make sure the rough yarn isn't in the neck or wrist area so it won't be so "itchy."

·
Registered
11,924 Posts
Charlotte I do have an afghan I made out of Super Saver and its been washed dozen of times has yet to get soft period. Its a cream color. So after time that yarn doesn't always soften up.[/quote]

I guess I have just been lucky. I throw them in the washer and use dryer sheets when I dry them. Maybe it is because of a difference in the color used.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
This is true—the darker colors—just as it is with hair dyes; you've got to throw a lot more pigments in there to get them to 'take'. The Charcoals and Blacks can be some of the roughest on hair and the fibers found.
just saying......

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been using the supersaver for baby blankets. I can't imagine making a baby wear clothing made from this yarn. Not only is it scratchy but bulky as well. I'm really enjoying the challenge of taking the box contents and 'babying' it up. The great thing about this yarn is that it works up fast fast fast.

I did try washing, fabric softener, and drying but none seemed to soften the yarn at all. Maybe it's the hard water we have in the desert. Anyhow, I ended up steaming. Lightly. Yes I lost some loft but I prefer the drapiness more and its so much softer now.

I've almost got a box full of projects to send back to Marine Corps Kids. I'll post pictures on a new thread so you can all see what I did with these random skeins of yarn. Fun for me.

Happy knitting!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom