Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
ruth Roxanne said:
I don't read every topic, but I have not seen any begging on KP.
In the past year I recall seeing the following excuses (here on KP) given for why people needed your money:

Pay for a surgery
Help get home from where they were stranded
Save the farm from "execution"

And there are always, always people begging for free yarn that they promise to use for charity... They have no job to pay for it, but instead of looking for work they sit around knitting for charity? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
What people don't realize is that scammers work with people for months. They have networks of people to help them pull of scams as well.

Like those 'free money' emails that people get. "If you help me get my millions I'll share it with you, just send me your bank information"

If people didn't fall for these scams they wouldn't be out their.

Another real common one is the call to grandparents for a grandchild in a foreign country. The 'grandchild' is in trouble and needs help. When infact the child is not in a foreign country and it isn't their grandchild. But since most elderly can't hear as well. Or the connection isn't good the grandparents fall for the scam.

But these people who play the victim will have networks of people. People who make documents,pictures, kids, places, things etc. All can be so easily faked. The net is a scarey place to be if you are not ultra guarded. Those who fall for the 'poor me' posts and the like. Are the easiest targets of fraud.

Its always best to give support in words and encouragement. Never ever your money. This way you are never out anything at all. If you really really feel inclined to send money. Take a step back. Think, sleep on it. Then again just post encouragement. NEVER your money.

One true way to find out if someone is really in need. Would they really have the 'extra' money for the internet? They wouldn't. Internet is not a basic necessity. Its an added plus for those who can afford it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here in the UK internet scams are big business.

We have e mails arriving from Nigeria asking for help in transferring money from Nigeria to the UK and of course there will be plenty of cash rewards if you agree to help.
We have older women looking for 'friendship' Strangely the 'new love' always lives abroad and has his own prosperous business but at the moment just needs a cash injection when he has stripped her bank account [usually her pension pot] he vanishes and the lady is always reported as saying I am always so sensible I dont know how I was taken in....amazing how they are always in another country so you cant check up on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom