Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local thrift store this afternoon. I go there for the same reason as everybody else here-patterns and yarn! I started looking at the books and then I saw it. a knitting book full of patterns from ladies home journal that was published in 1977. I wanted to get my hands on that book! There was one fairly big problem. Some one in the store had used the book to even up one side of the whole heavy ceiling high book shelf full of things. I couldn't believe it! I begged and pleaded- please I want that book! ( if you think a child is bad you haven't seen me) The ladies at the counter were giving me the dirty looks. "You can't get that out from under there" they said. " You haven't seen me in action" I'm thinking. One of my friends happened to walk in the store and she gave me the look also but she said if you can figure out how to move the shelf I'll pull it out for you. I begged some more can I PLEASE take everything off the shelves. I promise to put it all back. Finally they gave in and let me try. WOW what a mess. I pushed and I pushed and my friend pulled and pulled and out it came. Then we had to put something back under there. Thank you national geographic for making such nice sized magazines. (Who wants to look at lions when you can have a knitting book ) One of the ladies did help me get everything back on the shelves. It was worth it. The book isn't in the best shape but is has some really nice patterns. I love the patterns in those old publications. So many of them are such classics.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I would have done the same thing! Non-knitters have no idea of the tenacity of knitters. (We know you can't be a knitter without that quality!) NOW they know! Imagine! Using a knitting book to make a piece of furniture level! Harumph!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
LindY G said:
I agree, love looking at old pattern books. I can't knit but I sure do love looking at knitted things. Crochet is my thing & I love looking at things old & crocheted.
LindY, I have seen your crocheting and I just know you have the ability to knit inside you too! Why I never even tried to learn until last year and just picked up a child's how to knit kit and knit a scarf in one sitting. No purls involved but it got me hooked and now I'm so glad I finally gave it a shot. You Tubes make it especially nice to go over things you don't understand just by reading a pattern.

Black Kitty, I am SOOOOOOOOOOO just like that when there is something I want! Might not make any sense whatsoever to anyone else but determination get's them past that and willing to do just about anything to help you get what you want. LOL Just ask my husband and children. :thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Katsch said:
I love your story. What a determined knitter will do, :p :thumbup:
I apologize in advance, but I do have to tell you all that I read this as: "I love your story. What a demented knitter will do",....etc! I can't believe I thought that's what it read! lolol

Nancy :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rose_Rose said:
Katsch said:
I love your story. What a determined knitter will do, :p :thumbup:
I apologize in advance, but I do have to tell you all that I read this as: "I love your story. What a demented knitter will do",....etc! I can't believe I thought that's what it read! lolol

Nancy :)
That is what the ladies in the store thought about me. Ha Ha!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
My sister works in an op shop and she told me that they get so many knitting books and needles donated that they just do not know what to do with them. This happens when grandma dies and the family clear out her house. They do not understand the value of some things and donate them to charity. She said many of the books go straight to the tip. It seems that many of the younger knitters only want to knit today's fashions and with the thicker wool. The knitting books of yesteryear all have patterns for finer wool, often what we called 3ply or 4 ply. Totem, or 8 ply was considered thick wool. Also the names of the wool have changed and although there are tables to compare the wool thickness or gauge to it seems many do not wish to do this. I think the older knitters look at the gauge or tension and needle size given and then think, oh yes that will be such an such. She said most of the younger knitters cannot adapt a pattern. Some of the older patterns are instructions for a closer knitted article than today's fashions,or too long as they finish around the waist and the younger knitter wants a cropped garment. Or they are too short and the knitter wanted a hip length jacked. As they do not know how to adapt and shorten or lengthen the article they pass it by. But there are several sites on ebay that sell old pattern books and they fetch a goodly price too.

At least donating grandma's possessions to the op shop is better than taking them straight to the tip. We lived in a small country town and when the relatives came down from Perth to clear the house they would take what they wanted and anything they thought as old would be taken straight to the tip. You could rat the tip in those days and I have a magnificent collection of postcards from the 1880's, complete with the stamps from that period, that relatives had dumped on the tip. They did not know that they were collectors items. Similar find was an old wrought iron baby cot from the early 1900's. We took it home and washed it and put it in the auction rooms in the nearby town. An antique dealer had the highest bid, $100. This was in the late 1970's. My ex was not working as he had quit his job as a teacher, so we had no income apart from the fruit from our orchard that we sold from the house. We made enough money from tip ratting to pay our bills, electricity, rates etc. A good living. The bigger towns employed professional ratters who paid the council for the privilege of ratting the town tip.

But I am with you girl, I would have rescued the book also. Happy knitting.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom