Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been knitting a shawl out of really beautiful yarn: Schoppel Zauberball "Crazy." I figured that it was so interesting looking that I needed to knit it as a single strand. I'm working on US 3 needles. I've made up the rectangular shawl pattern as I've gone along. I don't think I'm even halfway through. Something like 160 or more stitches per row on US 3s do not work up fast. So, since I'm on a shawl kick, I started working on a shawl on US 8 needles instead. It took a while--I like my shawls long--but I just finished it last evening. Now to wet and block it.

As I was getting into bed last evening, a thought hit me: Why not rip out the entire Zauberball "Crazy" shawl and knit it with two skeins at once???????? I have collected this yarn for years out of sale bins, a ball here and a ball there, so I do have plenty of yarn.

So, will I have the guts to do so? Tune in in a few days. . . . (I figured I'd write this to you KPers. Then I wouldn't be able to back down!)

Hazel

·
Premium Member
29,490 Posts
The only time I deliberately ripped out an item was because of smaller needles and way too much time to invest. Little items I know I will get done but a big one, I no longer start them. Looking forward to seeing your shawl.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
If you have enough of the yarn, why not set it aside and start a different shawl with two new balls knit together. Then you can decide which you like better, complete it and frog the other. Just a thought. Dissatisfaction is a valid reason to frog something, and while I am reasonably good at visualization, what I picture and what my hands produce, can at times, be very different things. I’d hate to frog something simply because I had a different idea and ended up liking the first one best. But that is just how my brain works. I am not much of a gambler.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I like KateLyn11's idea to start with two new skeins, if you do like that better just start with another skein and the end of the one you are currently using and knit away - that way you don't have to frog first but can frog as you go using up the first skein as you knit (trust me I know this from experience!)

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ljsb3 said:
I like KateLyn11's idea to start with two new skeins, if you do like that better just start with another skein and the end of the one you are currently using and knit away - that way you don't have to frog first but can frog as you go using up the first skein as you knit (trust me I know this from experience!)
I like your and KateLyn's ideas a LOT! Yes, frogging a gigunda thing isn't my idea of fun. So, yes, I could start with two balls of "Crazy" and knit away. I'd started out with a lace pattern and after a bunch of repeats of the pattern, segued to stockinette stitch with garter stitch rows in Fibonacci number order. After I'd done that a lot, I started switching to other patterns that complemented what I'd already done, so that the shawl was kind of a sampler. But I think I'll cast on with two skeins, do a gauge swatch (since it's a rectangle and I'm knitting it starting on a short end, I'll need to know how many stitches to cast one), and go from there.

But WAIT! I may not even need to do a gauge swatch! I don't have to knit a rectangular shawl! I can do a half-circle or a semicircle or a full circle or a rectangle or a square or any old shape I want to do! I don't have to be bound by the pattern I started out with! Woo hoooooooo!

Normally, I really enjoy projects that take a long time. But I'm just not liking the flimsiness of a shawl knitted on US 3s. I like my shawls to be substantial. It does get COLD here in far northern Florida in the winter, and I like to wrap up in my shawls. We're even going to build a fire in the fireplace this evening!

So, yes, thank you immensely for your great ideas, LJSB3 and KateLyn!

Hazel

·
Registered
52,722 Posts
KateLyn11 said:
If you have enough of the yarn, why not set it aside and start a different shawl with two new balls knit together. Then you can decide which you like better, complete it and frog the other. Just a thought. Dissatisfaction is a valid reason to frog something, and while I am reasonably good at visualization, what I picture and what my hands produce, can at times, be very different things. I'd hate to frog something simply because I had a different idea and ended up liking the first one best. But that is just how my brain works. I am not much of a gambler.
Exactly what I was going to suggest. Imagine if you pulled it out and then decided that two together didn't suit the yarn and pattern and you were right in the first place- then you would have to knit what you have already done again

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
knittedfool said:
Make two shawls. If you do not like 1, you could give it away
That's a really good idea! Thank you! I don't think I have enough yarn to make two, though. So, I'm going to figure out what shape of shawl I want to make next and start off with two balls of "Crazy" that I haven't used yet.

Hazel

·
Registered
22,991 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
KateLyn11 said:
If you have enough of the yarn, why not set it aside and start a different shawl with two new balls knit together. Then you can decide which you like better, complete it and frog the other. Just a thought. Dissatisfaction is a valid reason to frog something, and while I am reasonably good at visualization, what I picture and what my hands produce, can at times, be very different things. I'd hate to frog something simply because I had a different idea and ended up liking the first one best. But that is just how my brain works. I am not much of a gambler.
In total agreement

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tmvasquez said:
I love working lace shawls so I would keep going. It is so satisfying when you finish. It is like a work of art.
I would keep on going, but I'm just not liking how the shawl is looking. The yarn is simply too thin, and at least to me, I think it needs to be doubled. I kept on knitting, thinking I'd like it better but that hasn't happened.

Hazel

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
KateLyn11 said:
I like that idea, that way you can see what it looks like...then if you like better frog the one using single strand or even keep both if you have enough yarn

Please share with us what you decide

·
Registered
52,722 Posts
Hazel Blumberg - McKee said:
I would keep on going, but I'm just not liking how the shawl is looking. The yarn is simply too thin, and at least to me, I think it needs to be doubled. I kept on knitting, thinking I'd like it better but that hasn't happened.

Hazel
My concern with doubling it is that the colours won't be able to be matched so it could look really bitty especially with the tweedy look. Wonder if using a solid with one ball would look better? Though the long stretches of colour may save the really bitty look as will still get long stretches of colour

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom