Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made a scarf today (not my first) with the Tecido tricot yarn..pattern says 8 stitches...........i thought 8 is too many so did 6.

The scarf will have to be unpulled and done with maybe 4...it is at least 15 inches too short.........does not even reach my waist. One I did some time back is very much longer.the yarn here was 30m or32.8 yards..................waste of my time!

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
Hm, could you post a picture of it... I don't know what it looks like - but most times it would be possible, I think, to put a big button, or some pin, and make it a long neck-warmer instead of a short scarf... you know, transform the defect to an effect?..

·
Registered
38,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this yarn is like chiffon ribbon,,,ir is not for warmth.

The other three I made needed only one ball...........It cost $29 for me to get that one ball here............I will undo it today and make a thinner model.

It is not for me it is a gift for a pal.

·
Registered
38,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It took me only 1 hour to make,..............so i have undone the cast off and I am knitting it from there...with 4 stitches instead of 8.

it is looking good and should be ?will be much longer.

the website did say the 8 stitch scarf would measure 30 inches........far to short for me.

check out Tecido Trico yarn if you want to see what it is like.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
It seems to me that scarves can come in various lengths. I NEVER like to undo something I have worked on, spent my valuable time on, so I would either bite the bullet and get more yarn -- adding on at either end if I cd not match the dye-lot -- or change this into something else, like a cowl -- sewing ends together -- or what the heck, just leave it as long as it is. It may stretch; ribbons tend to do that.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
There was a thread a few weeks ago about skein weights not being consistant, people weighed the skeins of the same brand and type of yarn and some skeins were under weight.
I have never weighed yarn but I have noticed that when knitting with 2 strands, sometimes one runs out faster. I have learned over the years to buy an extra skein. I guess that is why I have a stash!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The instructions that came with the tedico trico that I bought yesterday suggested 5 stitches on either 4mm or 5mm needles. The made up samples were of a good length. I had earlier seen some of this yarn on another stall, but hadn't bought any because the samples they had on display were very short. Presumably the shorter ones had been produced using more stitches. The yarn really is too expensive to make using more than one lot per scarf a realistic proposition, so I will certainly try 5 stitches for my first one and see how it comes out.

·
Registered
38,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
careful reading does prove the scarf would be 30 inches....FAR too short in my opinion.

SO girls I unpicked the bind off and knitted it up again with four stitches...it looks wonderful and is about 55 inches and 3 inches wide (ish) I unravelled as I knitted which was dead easy.

it took less than an hour to re do and I am thrilled.

Pauline, it is a ruffle..not suitable for a cowl!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Cakes, I am interested in what you say about this yarn needing to be rolled around a cardboard tube. What did you do exactly - I am imagining that a rubber band might be needed to secure the tape to the tube? I can well believe that this yarn might twist badly. Even some of the mesh type ruffle scarf yarns that I have tried have had a tendency to do that. Incidentally, what needle size did you use?

·
Registered
38,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kathleen the ribbon comes flat ....as if one had folded it over a flat piece of card. It will unravell in an instant.so yes i sticky taped it to the paper roll.....even then THAT took some skill.LOL
then the tube I placed on the holder my dear old OH had made.

works well!
I have no idea what neele i used............my needles are all 60 years old and i just look and see a size...... about the size of a thin pencil it does not matter as long as it goes through the holes, which are punched through the ribbon.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
HandyFamily said:
Hm, could you post a picture of it... I don't know what it looks like - but most times it would be possible, I think, to put a big button, or some pin, and make it a long neck-warmer instead of a short scarf... you know, transform the defect to an effect?..
I thought HandyFamily was headed in the same direction as I was.... make a cowl or a neckwarmer.

I was desperately trying to envision a scarf that was only 4 stitches wide.... an inch wide?!

I looked up the yarn and had a little giggle. Yes, you were right to undo it and redo this one. It is very expensive. I have taken notes since I just ordered some of this yarn myself to use for Christmas gifts. Only an hour or so of your time wasted, so not too bad..... ;-)

·
Registered
38,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
amyknits.
................ it is a chiffon ribbon ruffle scarf!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is now finished and looking a million dollars! Yje yarn os very soft. not at all prickly. 4 stitches are perfect NOT eight.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Thanks for the hint about rolling the yarn on to a tube. I used a toilet roll middle and I am sure the time spent doing it more than made up for the time I would have spent uncurling the yarn had I knitted straight from the package.

The instructions on the back of the label for the tecido trico did say to cast on 8 stitches, but I had been given a printed sheet of instructions by the man I bought the yarn from which said 5 stitches, as did the instructions on the label of the Woolcraft Desire, which seems identical. I made the first scarf using these instructions and the end result was 44 inches long, a little shorter than I would have liked, but plenty long enough for my petite 8 year old granddaughter, so that is fine. I have since made two more using only 4 stitches and these measure 58 inches, which is about what I wanted for the adults. I think the 5 stitch version looks marginally prettier, but I am very happy with the longer versions, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom