Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the order in for my sock loom. What would be a cheap sock yarn to start on for a very, very beginner at socks? I don't want to spend a lot while I'm learning and need to frog it. Thanks in advance for the advice...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sometimes you cab find it at Big Lots. But not always, so if you have one keep an eye peeled. I think I paid a dollar a skein for it there. Or go to JoAnn's or Michail's when they have a sale & coupons. Sign up fr their coupons.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Hobby Lobby has good sock yarn and it's not very expensive. Expect to pay about $4 a skein. Be careful about going too cheap, you get what you pay for. You will get better results with something like Patons, Deborah Norville, or Vanna.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no Hobby Lobby, Big Lots, Ben Franklin, so I guess I'll have to get something at JoAnn's or Michaels. Hopefully there will be a good coupon. Does Walmart ever have it cheap?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just went to JoAnn's online, and they have Deborah Norville Serenity for $2.99 per skein. Would that be good for a beginning? How much do I need?

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I recently knitted my first pair of socks and opted for some inexpensive yarn from Joann's for my first pair. I KNEW I could knit a sock because I had mastered socks on worsted weight and DK weight yarn.

I had so much trouble with the cheap yarn separating that I yanked it off the needles, tossed it in the trash and went to my LYS. I found some great sock yarn for $7.99 a skein. This was only $1.00 more per skein than what I purchased at Joann's! What a difference!

I am all about not wasting money on "good" yarn for learning, but sometimes cheap yarn makes learning more difficult.

The sock yarn I ended up using for my first pair and several pair since is Plymouth Happy Feet sock yarn. I am knitting a cowl with it right now!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Remember to check the price per yard when comparing yarn prices. A $3.99 skein is not necessarily cheaper than a $5.99 skein. It is the price per yard that counts; not the price per skein/ball/hank/whatever.

Comparing weights does not work either; the only true cost comparison is the cost per yard.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have used the Deborah Norville yarn and have worn the socks for at least one, maybe part of two winters. I machine wash them in a lingerie bag and partially dry them, then hang them. Even when I forget to get them out of the dryer early, they come out very well. I am pleased with the yarn for inexpensive socks, but I do use more expensive yarn sometimes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
AC Moore has a nice selection too. My local yarn shop has sock yarns at a reasonable price and a large selection. You will need about 400yds for a pair of woman's socks in fingering weight. Sometimes that means 1 skein. Check the label. Good luck. Once you get it socks are fun.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
puckfouse said:
I have the order in for my sock loom. What would be a cheap sock yarn to start on for a very, very beginner at socks? I don't want to spend a lot while I'm learning and need to frog it. Thanks in advance for the advice...
I am sooo glad you asked this question! I want to try making a pair too and I just didn't know what to buy (I have been searching for two weeks now)!

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
As others have said, cheap yarn is not always the easiest to learn with. I had bought 3 balls of sock yarn in a bag for $10 for my first sock weigh socks. One was so dark, black and blue that it was horrible to work with, another was so stretchy, never did get the gauge correct. The third one was 100% wool, so used it for a scarf. I finally bought a little more expensive yarn, on sale, and it was much easier to work with. Good luck with knitting socks, I'm sure you'll do great.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You all are so great! Thanks again for all your advice---it really helps!~ Puck

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom