Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
82,413 Posts
A good reason to keep pets and small children indoors or on a hand-held leash!!!

So far, the most worrisome critter to venture onto Montreal Island is coyote, though they seem to prefer the less populated/manicured areas. In my immediate area, the biggest carnivore is the feral cat, though there are racoons in Mount Royal Park, aka “The Mountain”.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A good reason to keep pets and small children indoors or on a hand-held leash!!!

So far, the most worrisome critter to venture onto Montreal Island is coyote, though they seem to prefer the less populated/manicured areas. In my immediate area, the biggest carnivore is the feral cat, though there are racoons in Mount Royal Park, aka “The Mountain”.
As an elderly lady living in Devon, England I can’t imagine living with roaming black bears in your vicinity . I seem to be reading and seeing a lot about encounters these days. Are there more bears, or more bears in built-up areas. Do black bears get spooked by people. Again I read of people seeing them off quite regularly. Sometimes even a family cat or dog seeing them off. I still think of them as large wild and dangerous animals to be avoided at all costs. Just interested.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
We're having regular visits by a small bear around our neighborhood. He's been in my yard 7 times this week--of course he was going for the birdseed and suet feeders. Fortunately, I saw him shortly after his arrival the first day, and yelled and banged pot covers until he sauntered off. My neighbors must have loved that, because it was 5:15 a.m.! I rescued my feeders, brought them all in the house, and also the big metal cans of seed on my patio. However, he returned six more times over the last seven days. These are the young yearling bears, looking for their own territory, and they usually come around their first spring. It may not be that there are more bears, it's that their territory is being reduced because of all the new home construction. My neighbors and I have many videos and photos of "Boo Boo," but I hope he/she finds a better place to settle down permanently! I'm in a heavily residential area, near a pond, but also abutting Interstate Rte. 495, which is one of the busiest highways in the state.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
How scary. Fortunately I now live in a urban area where the worse animal we ever see is a stray dog. My heart couldn't take seeing dangerous animals.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
There was a visitor at the bottom of the front steps at about 8 pm tonight ! He must have known that tomorrow is trash pickup day and thought he would get an early start !
However, he was out of luck as we aren’t allowed to put the bins out until 5:30 AM. View attachment 1240768
Scary. The biggest thing I saw around here in New York City was an opossum.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
The wildlife here is skunks, raccoons, and possums. I hear of a lot of sitings of coyotes, but haven't seen one myself. We used to have a cottage 3 hours north of here, and the black bears all hung out at the local dump.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
As an elderly lady living in Devon, England I can’t imagine living with roaming black bears in your vicinity . I seem to be reading and seeing a lot about encounters these days. Are there more bears, or more bears in built-up areas. Do black bears get spooked by people. Again I read of people seeing them off quite regularly. Sometimes even a family cat or dog seeing them off. I still think of them as large wild and dangerous animals to be avoided at all costs. Just interested.
What's happened with wildlife lately is
  1. Pandemic - Fewer humans out and about so the animals have creeped back into developed areas. Just goes to prove how quickly nature would take back over if all human life disappeared. There are some really great nature/science shows out there that example just what would happen if mankind suddenly disappeared from the earth.
  2. The overall loss of the natural habitat for the wildlife. We keep pushing them out of their territory as we develop more and more land. Of course we have to take the best for ourselves and we wind up leaving them with land that will not support them so they come in when they need food and we produce a LOT of food that while we won't eat it, they will.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
While black bears can be dangerous, especially moms with cubs, my understanding is they will usually flee when confronted by humans - as long as we're not just stupid about it. The chaser doesn't even have to be their own size!

·
Registered
19,554 Posts
There was a visitor at the bottom of the front steps at about 8 pm tonight ! He must have known that tomorrow is trash pickup day and thought he would get an early start !
However, he was out of luck as we aren’t allowed to put the bins out until 5:30 AM. View attachment 1240768
Cool visitor 👍🏻❗😀

I only saw a squirrel on my back porch stairs the other day, when I sat on deck. And I watched one cross the street out front of our house outside our bedroom window the other day. He/she hopped right across street & no traffic. It has better luck than me crossing the street.🙄❗

Reactions: Jessica-Jean

·
Registered
56,082 Posts
Very scary. I am in the Adirondacks for the summer and we see bears every now and then. My friend captures them at night laying on the ground and scooping birdseed into their mouth. Scary but cute from a far distance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top Bottom