Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished my Kindle cover. Lots of firsts in techniques for me in this one.

First time with Magic Loop (well, that's not entirely correct as I did one other Kindle cover in a different pattern and wasn't happy with it after it was finished)

First time casting on with the Judy's Magic Cast-on

First time binding off with the Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off

This was knitted from a pattern on Ravelry for the Kindle that is smaller than the one I have so it had to be tweaked some.

It was knitted with Queensland Collection Pima Fresca.

Some of my thoughts now that I am finished:

1. I love, love, love the Magic Loop!!! Even with the incredibly cheap set of 47" circular needles I ordered from Amazon, it was a breeze to knit.

2. I also love the Judy's Magic Cast-on for something like this because this piece has no seams whatsoever.

3. I used the Jeny's Stretchy Bind-off because I knit so tightly and I thought it might help, but this project didn't really need the extra stretchy.

4. The yarn ... it looks good and feels good and is nice and soft ... BUT ... I would never buy it again. It is so inconsistent in thickness ... it goes from bulky to fingerling and I'm not used to that. And it splits very badly. There are a lot of wonderful cottons out there that I like much better and will buy in the future. Especially since this cost $15.00 for a ball ... at that price I expected better.

All in all, I'm quite pleased and I'm excited with the new techniques I learned. All's good when us "Old Dogs" learn new tricks :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Very pretty and so nice of you to share all your learning experiences. I want to try a few of those things and I definitely like knowing about yarns. Your project is very pretty and well done. I would not be happy about the yarn being difficult at the price either. The colors are lovely, but the stripe makes it very hard to appreciate all the work you put in to the lovely pattern. I DO see it, and it is probably more prominent in "real life". I need to make a cover for my knew I-pad so you have given me a good nudge in that direction. Very, very nice...

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you KnitCats and Dreamweaver.

One positive I will say about the yarn is that it did self stripe quite nicely since it is a continuous strand from the ball. And yes, the cables are very evident in the piece ... I just couldn't pick it up with my old camera.

If you make a sleeve for your i-pad, I would suggest you have some cables or another stitch that gives it some thickness as it provides a slight bit of padding.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Excellent point on the padded stitches. I am thiking of making a bag with flap for it and would probably line it with fleece for extra padding and to let the knitting keep it's shape. Still trying to decide just what will be the most useful, since I do want to carry it in my purse a great deal....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very pretty. I love the colors. If you had any difficulty with the thick/thin yarn, there's no evidence of it. Very nice job.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. It was a great small project to learn the Magic Loop. And it fits my Kindle perfectly. If I make another one, I will make it out of a solid color tho because the cables would pop much better on a solid.

And now, today, after frogging the sweater I had started because I could tell I wasn't going to be happy with it, I have found a pattern for a darling sweater that is written to be knitted on circulars and I am going to try it on the Magic Loop. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
edgemanak, your dog is just adorable! love the outfit! :D

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Like the colour blend. Very nice. I tried learning the long tail cast on last night. Well first of all I am lefthanded and but knit righthanded. I don't have to tell you I was all thumbs. Could not get the yarn to stay anchored under my fingers. Frustrating. Unravelled it and did my usual cast on. I am going to try it again though.

·
Registered
325 Posts
And on top of your lovely critique of your own work - you did a great job!

I just tried out the magic loop too and it was so much easier for me than using dp needles! Isn't it wonderful how much you can learn on KP and U-Tube?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you :)

I'm a lefty too, but knit as a righty ... I have always done the long-tail cast-on ... just hang in there it will get easier.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SGale said:
And on top of your lovely critique of your own work - you did a great job!

I just tried out the magic loop too and it was so much easier for me than using dp needles! Isn't it wonderful how much you can learn on KP and U-Tube?
Thank you :)

I had always shied away from patterns that called for the dp needles because they look so clumbsy to me. I thought learning the magic loop was fun; but I'm glad I chose a small project to learn. I also found a cute pattern for holders to knit for my granddaughters' i-touch pads. I might even think about trying some socks down the line now. There is a great sock tutotial on Knitpicks.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You did a beautiful job inspite of the inconsistencies in the yarn!! The cover is really nice looking and will give years of enjoyable use. Congratulations on your willingness to embrace new and different things to try. It is what keeps us all young if we will but try.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Karie said:
You did a beautiful job inspite of the inconsistencies in the yarn!! The cover is really nice looking and will give years of enjoyable use. Congratulations on your willingness to embrace new and different things to try. It is what keeps us all young if we will but try.
Thank you Karie ... my problem has never been an unwillingness to try new things ... my problem is seeing a new thing I want to try and jumping immediately in the deep end way over my head.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom