Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently figured out how to do an I-cord on my metal bed mid-gauge knitting machine. It's a SR or SK 160. (Can't remember exactly; -- the machine works great but was purchased used and didn't come with a manual) Anyways, I couldn't find any tutorials online for my machine, so I played around till it worked. I have been putting I-cords on gnome hats. Here is the question: how wide can you go with the I cord? I've been doing a 6 stitch I cord. But I started wondering can you use the same process to make a large tube ? Like 60 stitches wide for a hat or something?? Has anyone tried it? Just wondering. Thanks, Sue

·
Registered
542 Posts
You can’t go very wide with i-cord, but since plain stockinette rolls, you get a similar effect by just knitting a narrow strip back and forth. You would need a ribber for a tubular knit as wide as 60 stitches and midgauge ribbers are very hard to find. You can learn to make a good flat seam for sewing up a hat made flat - look up Bickford seam online.

·
Registered
876 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom