Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to do this, as it does feel like horrible scrounging, but I am a new knitter, and have almost no 'stuff' at all. I know a lot of knitters have tons of yarn they aren't using; is there any chance someone might see fit to throw some my way?

I live in the UK, specifically in Exeter, Devon. If I can do someone a favour by way of repayment, I'd be happy to.

·
Registered
21,297 Posts
I have a lot of yarn I'm not using but I live in Michigan and I don't have the funds to send it across the pond. I see that you just joined us. I'd like to welcome you from Michigan and hope that some of your countrywomen can spare some of their stashes and share with you!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Last time I was home the thrift /charity/op shops were not the cheapest place to buy yarn, but you could buy their hand knits for a few pence and unravel them.
also try signing up for ice yarns newsletter, I received one today, they were selling off at 30 cents a ball, (that's about 20 pence) postage is reasonable.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
If you're ever in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., I'd be happy to oblige. Heretofore, only people who have worked with my autistic son have benefitted from my surplus. You don't work with disabled children by chance?

Too bad you all don't have Walmart.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've just been and looked at my stash and come over all selfish ! But I've got a couple of packets I got free with magazines that I know I'll never use. PM me your address and I can send you them. It'll be my good deed for this decade.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
If you have either Poundstretchers or BM shops, they have lovely yarn and it's really cheap. I'm afraid that when I looked at my stash I couldn't part with any of it. Everything is earmarked for a project.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fergablu2 said:
If you're ever in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., I'd be happy to oblige. Heretofore, only people who have worked with my autistic son have benefitted from my surplus. You don't work with disabled children by chance?

Too bad you all don't have Walmart.
No, although my Dad has done. I actually have Asperger's though (Dad doesn't know, and I've had no help whatsoever from the professionals :( ), as do some of my friends, so I do have some idea of what's involved.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
BlueTressym said:
I hate to do this, as it does feel like horrible scrounging, but I am a new knitter, and have almost no 'stuff' at all. I know a lot of knitters have tons of yarn they aren't using; is there any chance someone might see fit to throw some my way?

I live in the UK, specifically in Exeter, Devon. If I can do someone a favour by way of repayment, I'd be happy to.
I find that when I choose my own yarn and pattern, I have the enthusiasm to finish the project. Knitting is best when done rather than practiced. Ask for yarn store gift cards this year and go to their sales. Believe me, you will have Fun. Enjoy.

If people do send yarn, maybe they can show you so that you choose. That's exciting.
:D

Also, take some lessons. It is fun knitting with others.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
faigiezipper said:
My daughter and son- in- law live in Exeter. Love it there. What kind of yarn are you looking for?
Being a beginner, I'm not quite sure. I am currently using some odds bits of black, which I believe is DK yarn, to attempt a hat. I have several different small bits of black, so I hope it'll be enough. I want to try and do gloves, though I've heard they're very complicated, and some baby bootees for friends of ours. I'd like to attempt a sweater as well, as I feel the cold a lot, and only have hideous shapeless ones at the moment.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
auntycarol said:
Try your local charity shops a lot of them keep wool and knitting needles etc but they don't keep them on display mostly you have to ask if they have some. Hope this helps
I appreciate the suggestion but I did actually go around several charity shops last weekend, and NOT ONE had any knitting supplies, except for one that had a few patterns. Of course patterns are about the only thing I do have lots of...

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
BlueTressym said:
auntycarol said:
Try your local charity shops a lot of them keep wool and knitting needles etc but they don't keep them on display mostly you have to ask if they have some. Hope this helps
I appreciate the suggestion but I did actually go around several charity shops last weekend, and NOT ONE had any knitting supplies, except for one that had a few patterns. Of course patterns are about the only thing I do have lots of...
Aww that's a shame as I was able to get some from my local ones. :(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom