Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a simple cable and ridge sweater pattern from Patons Sweetheart Knits, it calls for
Cr2L= purl into the back of 2nd stitch on left needle, then knit into front of first st. slipping both sts. off needle together . I have tried and tried, also went on You Tube but could not see a tutorial for it, thought maybe there was an easy way to do it. Maybe my yarn is not stretchy enough it is kind of rigid. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
It does seem like a hard manouvre alright. If you go around the back of the first stitch then bring the yarn forward to purl the second stitch, then you have to do this athletic thing to knit the first stitch. Alternatively, you can purl the second stitch from the front, then knit the first stitch. Are you sure you want to knit this garment?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Hold your finger on the first stitch as you go behind this to get to the 2nd stitch, then knit 2nd stitch, without dropping this stitch, come to the front & knit into the 1st stitch then remove both stitches off needle. I have just finished a ships cardigan with this stitch in it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
catzndogz, I forgot to mention, Loosen your 2nd stitch first with your needle before you knit into it. This helps especially if you are a tight knitter. It is very tricky. I find if I put my finger on the top to prevent falling off. regards Glennis.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Slip the first stitch onto a cable needle, P1 back of stitch, K stitch on cable needle. L means hang cable needle at front and R means to the back your work and your P stitch is at the front not back. It produces a small twisted cable.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
this is a stitch used in aran knitting. It can have more stitches than this i.e. Cr4L and you would definitely have to use the cable needle. You soon get used to using a cable needle.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Unless you knit VERY tightly it should be possible to work that 2nd st and then work the 1st st.

...if you knit so tightly that you have no give in your stitches - that might be worth fixing first.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I'm doing a difficult stitch that took a little getting used to--it was P3, K the same 3, P the same 3. It made a knot and I had to remember to loosen my stitches on the previous row in order to get that stitch done. So I imagine that you'll have to do the same thing.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
dotcarp2000 said:
I'm doing a difficult stitch that took a little getting used to--it was P3, K the same 3, P the same 3. It made a knot and I had to remember to loosen my stitches on the previous row in order to get that stitch done. So I imagine that you'll have to do the same thing.
I did that st w a TIGHT YO between the sts. Opening the sts after dropping the YO made it possible for my old hands to do it. I'll never use that pattern again! Too hard on these old hands.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
Dsynr said:
dotcarp2000 said:
I did that st w a TIGHT YO between the sts. Opening the sts after dropping the YO made it possible for my old hands to do it. I'll never use that pattern again! Too hard on these old hands.
My thoughts exactly. Just reading it made me tense!

·
Registered
20,193 Posts
Here is a link to another discussion on that same stitch and detailed instructions. Maybe this will help.

http://forums.bellaonline.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=363349&page=1

or maybe this would be easier to accomplish.
Cr2R = slip next st onto cable needle and leave at back of work. K1, then P1 from cable needle.
Cr2L = slip next st onto cable needle and leave at front of work. P1, then K1 from cable needle.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Have you tried: remove the first stitch from the left needle, transfer the second stitch to the right needle, put the first stitch on the left needle, then move the second stitch from the right needle back to the left needle. Now do your cable stitch by working the first stitch (which was the second), then the second stitch (which was the first). I haven't actually tried this, but think it is worth trying.

catzndogz said:
This is a simple cable and ridge sweater pattern from Patons Sweetheart Knits, it calls for
Cr2L= purl into the back of 2nd stitch on left needle, then knit into front of first st. slipping both sts. off needle together . I have tried and tried, also went on You Tube but could not see a tutorial for it, thought maybe there was an easy way to do it. Maybe my yarn is not stretchy enough it is kind of rigid. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a simple left cable cross. I work these using a rather small size 3 or 4 crochet hook held in my right hand all the time (I knit Continentally) and use it instead of cable needles. It is much easier and faster and looks better than trying to do these crosses the way they suggest. A lady at a yarn shop suggested this a long time ago and I have knitted many Aran sweaters and afghans using this method. It works. Hope this helps those who are afraid of doing cables.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone, I will try with all the suggestions. I think I will try to put the first stitch on the cable needle as suggested and if I cannot get it right, I will save that pattern for a yarn that has more give to it and will do something else with this yarn. It was such a pretty shade of blue too for my nephew. I have a bunch of real Aran yarn for to do him a real Aran sweater when he is a bit older as the yarn is a little scratchy. I have done quite a few different cables but this one I just couldn't manouevre at all

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom