Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A TOUGH ENGLISH CHALLENGE
Welcome to a tricky English quiz, one that will have you doubting your own knowledge of this great language. What? You're still determined to ace this quiz? Ok then, let's see if you have the requisite mastery of the secrets of English.

What are the most common consonants in English? ~ S, followed by M ~ M, followed by R ~ T, followed by R ~ R, followed by T

What does the word "Triskaidekaphobia" mean? ~ Fear of skiing ~ Fear of ducks ~ Fear of parachuting ~ Fear of the number 13

Which letter starts more words in English than any other? ~ C ~ S ~ M ~ A

Which of these is an example of a "Pangram"? ~ "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." ~ Bottle ~ "Was it a rat I saw?" ~ "I have a big test tomorrow; I can't go to the movies tonight."

Which of these words is an example of a word "blend"? ~ Website ~ Darkroom ~ Motel ~ Alphabet

What is the dot over the letters i and j called? ~ Superscript dot ~ Gentle dot ~ Smudge dot ~ Scribe dot

Which of these is an example of a "serial comma", also known as an "Oxford comma"? ~ "Come with me, and I will show you the best shops in town." ~ "The rain finally ended, so she was free to go outside." ~ "If war comes before tomorrow, you should wake me up." ~ "I only eat bread, chocolate, and sweets."

Which of these is an example of a "crutch word"? ~ OMG ~ So ~ Maybe ~ Like

True or False: The word "I" is relatively new, only been invented 600 years ago ~ False ~ True

Complete below the longest English word without a true vowel ~ R _ y _ _ m

Can you tell us which is the real word? ~ Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis ~ Hippopotopseudohinihilipiltramicroscopics ~ Pseudotresabelexcinihilipilificationdocious ~ Supercalifragilisticexponusdraconisviscsonious

What is a "ghost word"? ~ A word that has no meaning; a printing error ~ A word that has fallen out of use for over 1000 years ~ A word of a dead language like Latin that still shapes living languages ~ A word that is in the language but was never written down

A TOUGH ENGLISH CHALLENGE ANSWERS

What are the most common consonants in English? ~ R, followed by T
What does the word "Triskaidekaphobia" mean? ~ Fear of the number 13
Which letter starts more words in English than any other? ~ S
Which of these is an example of a "Pangram"? ~ "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
Which of these words is an example of a word "blend"? ~ Motel
What is the dot over the letters i and j called? ~ Superscript dot
Which of these is an example of a "serial comma", also known as an "Oxford comma"? ~ "I only eat bread, chocolate, and sweets."
Which of these is an example of a "crutch word"? ~ Like
True or False: The word "I" is relatively new, only been invented 600 years ago ~ False
Complete below the longest English word without a true vowel ~ R h y t h m
Can you tell us which is the real word? ~ Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis ~ see below
What is a "ghost word"?
~ A word that has no meaning; a printing error

‘Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconiosis
is a form of the illness pneumoconiosis, caused by the inhalation of a fine silica dust found in most volcanoes.’

Reactions: runa fernanda

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I regret to say that I only knew three.
Pangram - a phrase containing all the letters of the alphabet. (a common typewriting exercise).
Motel - a blend of motor and hotel
and Rhythm, easy, given that some letters are part of the answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top Bottom