Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never read a pattern before last November...it was always knit and purl, purl and knit. Now I am reading patterns and have trouble with the language, can you please help me.

Describe how to do:

psso??????

sl1-k2tog-psso

I am making a lace scarf out of very fine yarn and this is driving me crazy, as I always seem to get the stitches dropped with these.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((( The best route is to literally pop those terms into a url search and, bam, there's a video to watch. Some are better than others, too.

Writing it in text is possible but surfing and viewing it in action is such a great teaching aid plus it familiarizes one more with how valuable the web is as a resource.

If you have trouble after the viewing, just hail me!

Donna Rae
~~~~~
SDKATE57 said:
I have never read a pattern before last November...it was always knit and purl, purl and knit. Now I am reading patterns and have trouble with the language, can you please help me.

Describe how to do:

psso??????

sl1-k2tog-psso

I am making a lace scarf out of very fine yarn and this is driving me crazy, as I always seem to get the stitches dropped with these.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
240 Posts
SDKATE57 said:

Describe how to do:

psso??????

sl1-k2tog-psso

Thanks so much.
Hi Sdkate57 - psso means, slip 1 stitch, knit 2 together, pass the slip stitch over the 2 that were knitted together. Hope this helps.

shirl

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
sl1--Slip 1 as if to KNIT
k2tog--Knit the next 2 stitches together
psso--Pass Slipped Stitch Over the last stitch worked (in this case the K2tog). The slipped stitch is then dropped off your needle onto the k2tog.

This is a double decrease. It is frequently used in lace knitting when decreases slanting from both directions come together in a point, like the top of a leaf.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I've said it before..the best investment a knitter can make is in the "Knitting Answer Book"...a book the size of a paperback that you can keep nearby when knitting...literally every abbreviation and a detailed description is in that book. You don't even have to get up and go to the computer!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I understand completely, I am new to knittingand when I hit on these terms it almost had me going back to crocheting. psso is pass slip stitch over, k2tog is just what it said, What I find out is these stitches all depend on how you knit. Do you throw or english. when you go to utube which is the one I like best, find the one were the person is knitting like you do it makes life so much simplyer.
Rose

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Rose, I've been knitting for 44 years...well 45 in August...sometimes the abbreviations change. PSSO has changed a few times since I began knitting...it used to be K,S,PSSO. Ergo my comment on the little book that rarely leaves my side.

It's a small wonder I haven't hurt someone with a sharp knitting needle or strangled them with a sturdy circular!...oops did I say that out loud?

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
courier770 said:
...It's a small wonder I haven't hurt someone with a sharp knitting needle or strangled them with a sturdy circular!...oops did I say that out loud?
Now, see, it's comments like that that make the TSA want to confiscate our knitting implements when we fly! ;) (Now for anybody that doesn't quite get sarcasm... that was a joke.)

·
Registered
371 Posts
courier770 said:
Rose, I've been knitting for 44 years...well 45 in August...sometimes the abbreviations change. PSSO has changed a few times since I began knitting...it used to be K,S,PSSO. Ergo my comment on the little book that rarely leaves my side.

It's a small wonder I haven't hurt someone with a sharp knitting needle or strangled them with a sturdy circular!...oops did I say that out loud?
I find that seeing what the person is saying helps me. I sit in front of my computer and do as they do. I also talk to the computer,( some good some bad words), husband always comes by when I am talking bad,tells me to leave it for now Ha if he thinks it is that easy to leave it.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
courier770 said:

just a note: the psso = Pass Slip Stitch Over.....the instructions directly before it can change....it might well be sl1, k1....or sl1, k2tog, (like you have in your pattern), the psso just means that you pass the slip st over whatever got knitted or purled before it....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom