Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across yrn and yfwd. I know what yfwd stands and yrn stands for yarn around needle. My question is how many time to you yarn around the needle? Example: yrn. k1. Please help.

Marilyn

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Galaxycraft. I just started knitting again and surprised at some of the abbreviations I never hear of before. I guess you can teach and old brain new things.

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Peggy Beryl said:
galaxycraft said:
Yarn around needle as many times as the pattern states.
If it just says k1, yrn, k5 -- then you just do it once.
If it says k1, yrn twice, k5 -- then you yarn around needle twice.
What is the difference between yrn and yo?
The difference is in the original position of the yarn at the time of the YO.
If you are in the purl position and the next stitch is a knit stitch...
bring the yarn over needle to the knit position and knit the next st.
If you are in the purl position and the next stitch is a purl stitch...
it becomes a YRN, bring the yarn over the needle and back to the purl position (hence the yarn around needle/wrapping the needle).

There are many terms which fall under the generalized heading of a "YO"...
It is all dependent on the next stitch to be worked and the position of the working yarn prior to the "YO" as to the How the YO will be executed.

IMHO - The term YO is used "loosely".
The designers/pattern writers of today are "assuming" you already know what type of YO is being asked of you per the pattern outcome.
Example -
A YO as an increase.
A YO to create a hole as in lace knitting or making eyelets.

yo = yarn over
yon = yarn over needle.
yrn = yarn round needle.

I hardly ever see these terms/abbreviations anymore in today's patterns.
yfon = yarn forward and over needle. (When yarn is in the knit position, doing a YO when the next stitch is a knit stitch).
yfrn = yarn forward and round needle. (When yarn is in the knit position, doing a YO when the next stitch is a purl stitch).

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have found knittingfool.com helpful-there are tons of abbreviations listed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom