Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Karen and I'm having a dilemma in knitting my scarf.

I started to make a scarf in a stockinette stitch but the ends are curling. How do I prevent that from happening? I cast on 26 stitches. I knitted 3 rows then i knitted three stitches then purled to the last 3 stitches then i knitted the last 3 stitches. The next row I knitted. Its not the sides that are curling, its the bottom. Can someone please helpppppppppppppppp.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((((((( That pattern will always curl; Pretty sure of it.

Try using the basket weave pattern afterand before the edge stitches. Link:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&&sa=X&psj=1&ei=JbVVTfnuOIOB8gbe6pTyBg&ved=0CBIQBSgA&q=knit+basket+weave+scarf+pattern&spell=1&fp=46c434222b5f0e70

There are several to look at.

Donna Rae
Brandon, Iowa ))))))))))))

buttons said:
Hi my name is Karen and I'm having a dilemma in knitting my scarf.

I started to make a scarf in a stockinette stitch but the ends are curling. How do I prevent that from happening? I cast on 26 stitches. I knitted 3 rows then i knitted three stitches then purled to the last 3 stitches then i knitted the last 3 stitches. The next row I knitted. Its not the sides that are curling, its the bottom. Can someone please helpppppppppppppppp.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
A 5 knitted stitch border will "fold" but not roll. What you need to do is either start with more rows of all knit stitch at the beginning, try seed stitch instead of rows of all knit stitches, or add fringe. Blocking could also help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, Karen. I, too, had trouble with curling, but found some excellent advice on this site. One was to crochet the sides after finishing the scarf. And the other was to slip the first stitch on each row instead of knitting it. I tried both with success, so I think your choice would be personal preference. Hope this helps. Jane

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Courier. I thought 3 rows were plenty but I guess not. Thank you for your reply. No body seems to like the fringe not even my husband and that is who I'm making the scarf for.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I don't care for fringe either, it gets caught in zippers, etc. and serves no purpose! I find that using 3 rows of seed stitch usually works. Too many knitted stitches at the beginning or end of each row also creates a border that will fold over. You seem to have the beginning and ends of the rows properly engineered though.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
I had that problem in one of my scarves, but I happened to notice it from the beginning. I went to a local yarn store because I didn't know about this forum yet. She showed me how to do a seed stitch with 4 stitches on each side of my scarf, and then do the knit 1 row, purl 1 row, for however many rows you are planning on for the scarf. I did that, and my pattern actually had a basketweave pattern after 11 rows of stockinette.. So it looked really nice to have the seed stitch from the first row all the way through the whole scarf, and it didn't curl up at all on the sides or the bottom or the top either. It was way cool! If I remember I will try to take a picture of the one that I did this way so that you can see it.

You can always Google any knitting problem you are having or any new stitch you want to learn, and someone, somewhere will have a video tutorial on how to do it and/or fix it.. :) This is how I taught myself beyond the basic knit and purl stitches. I also spent countless hours on this website watching their instructional videos :

Http://www.knittingdaily.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
From an earlier discussion on scarves that roll, the most common advice was to not use stockinette. Go with the roll, do a slip stitch for the first stitch along with garter or seed stitch borders or find a pattern that uses little or no stockinette. Someone submitted a pattern for a Toasty Twisty scarf that looks good and doesn't roll: http://thecaffeineatedknitter.blogspot.com/2008/09/so-back-before-great-knitting-slump-of.html. I made one with a striped ridge stitch. Knit 2 rows with one color, then knit the 3rd row with a 2nd color and purl 1 row with the 2nd color. i.e.
Row 1: Knit with color 1
Row 2: knit with color 1
Row 3: knit with color 2
Row 4: purl with color 2
You have only one row of stockinette and one of the stripes stands out in a ridge. It's a neat looking effect.
This makes a scarf for men or women and it doesn't roll. You can do it in a solid color as well as stripes but it was easier for me to remember which row I was on when I used two colors.

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
Anything knitted in a straight stockinette stitch is going to curl at the edges. It is just the nature of the beast. You might want to consider adding a border all around the scarf. I do this by using 5 garter stitch, seed stitch or any other firm stitch that doesn't curl, rows on the bottom, 5 same stitch borders on each edge & then 5 same stitch rows on the top before binding off. Kind of like a picture frame if you will. You can use the original count of stitches at cast on, or add the extra rows & border stitches to your piece.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Hey Em,

I tried to click on the link and it said the site does not exist anymore. I clicked refresh and her blog does come up, but I had to do some searching to find the scarf pattern.

http://thecaffeineatedknitter.blogspot.com/2008/09/so-back-before-great-knitting-slump-of.html

I don't know if this is the same URL that you listed because I forgot to quote your post.. But, I hope that it links to the scarf, because it is a really pretty pattern.. :)

Update, the URL that was previously posted by Em has a period that is at the end of the link. That is causing the issue about the blog not existing. I compared my link to her's and that is the only difference. The link above does take the reader to her blog, just in case anyone is interested.

Em, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I want to Thank all you for taking the time out to give all the suggestions. I will try each one and see which one works for me the best way. I will let you all know which one it was. I thank you all again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi Karen,
what works for me is sl 1st and always kni the last one.
You can also knit the seed st, which is very easy and it look nice (k1,p1,.............and tha next row is revorce, if the 1st(after you sl one, or you do the seed st.)is k11, so you P1,K1,P1,K1...........

I hope I was helpful.

P.S. sorry for my English grammar, I'm originaly from Europe.

Michaela

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you Michaela. That was very helpful and I appreciate that you took the time out with your reply. LOL you only misspelled one word (reversed). I forgot about slipping the first stitch on every row. But my problem is not the sides curling, its the top and bottom that curl. Do I do more rows of knit or the seed stitch? Thank you again, Karen

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi karen,

What I learn on my own , I work with 2 differened sizes of needles, if you need to work with needles #5, my otherone is #4/#6, I usually knit a sampe for myself and go from there.
Try it and see if it works, I hope it does.

M

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom