Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the summer of 2019 I wanted to make a gold shawl & could not find the metallic gold color I wanted. I went on to other projects, then Pandemic came & I was busy with afghans and hats for charity. Now, in summer 2020 I was looking through some ads when I came across a gold metallic yarn! I quickly looked up a bunch of shawl patterns to make an educated quests about how much yarn to buy. I ordered 6 balls of 135m as that seemed about right. I started collecting patterns and then the yarn came. At this point, I was a little nervous about what I was planning. I finished some other stuff and decided to tackle my gold shawl project. I decided that the shawl needed an easy pattern as the lame yarn was going to overpower anything. I played around with patterns with thin yarn as a test . I just could not finding anything, so I kept making my charity hats. Then, a few weeks ago I saw a really nice pattern and some really nice shawls and ended up putting a few ideas together. The pictures below show how it is knitting up and how it will look blocked. The details: the yarn is Creative Lame in gold on a number 8 needle, the stitch pattern is from 8 hour lace shawl and I used the dimensions of œBahaar Wrap as a guide. Both patterns are on Ravelry. I have 61 stitches on my needle, 4 stitches on each side are knit on both sides and 53 stitches in the pattern (multiple of 2 + 1). I did 6 rows of all knit to start and will end with 6 knit rows. I think the finished size will be 12-14 inches wide and the length will be determined.
I do have questions: 1) I know people add short rows to borders on sweaters, do you think there is a need for short rows on the borders here? The pattern basically knit with Yo on RS and purl with dropped stitch on ws, borders are 4 knit stitches on all rows .
2) In the picture the stitches are on a 24” needle but I have been using a 16” needle to knit, does it make any difference? Thanks for any help or suggestions, Sue

Attachments

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
SKRUGER said:
In the summer of 2019 I wanted to make a gold shawl & could not find the metallic gold color I wanted. I went on to other projects, then Pandemic came & I was busy with afghans and hats for charity. Now, in summer 2020 I was looking through some ads when I came across a gold metallic yarn! I quickly looked up a bunch of shawl patterns to make an educated quests about how much yarn to buy. I ordered 6 balls of 135m as that seemed about right. I started collecting patterns and then the yarn came. At this point, I was a little nervous about what I was planning. I finished some other stuff and decided to tackle my gold shawl project. I decided that the shawl needed an easy pattern as the lame yarn was going to overpower anything. I played around with patterns with thin yarn as a test . I just could not finding anything, so I kept making my charity hats. Then, a few weeks ago I saw a really nice pattern and some really nice shawls and ended up putting a few ideas together. The pictures below show how it is knitting up and how it will look blocked. The details: the yarn is Creative Lame in gold on a number 8 needle, the stitch pattern is from 8 hour lace shawl and I used the dimensions of œBahaar Wrap as a guide. Both patterns are on Ravelry. I have 61 stitches on my needle, 4 stitches on each side are knit on both sides and 53 stitches in the pattern (multiple of 2 + 1). I did 6 rows of all knit to start and will end with 6 knit rows. I think the finished size will be 12-14 inches wide and the length will be determined.
I do have questions: 1) I know people add short rows to borders on sweaters, do you think there is a need for short rows on the borders here? The pattern basically knit with Yo on RS and purl with dropped stitch on ws, borders are 4 knit stitches on all rows .
2) In the picture the stitches are on a 24" needle but I have been using a 16" needle to knit, does it make any difference? Thanks for any help or suggestions, Sue
As long as your stitches fit on the length of the needle, no problem.
As for the sides...since the sides seem to appear shorter than the body, I do believe short rows would help.

·
Registered
23,226 Posts
SKRUGER said:
2) In the picture the stitches are on a 24" needle but I have been using a 16" needle to knit, does it make any difference? Thanks for any help or suggestions, Sue
As long as your stitches fit on the length of the needle, no problem.
As for the sides...since the sides seem to appear shorter than the body, I do believe short rows would help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom