Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on cables now and want to incorporate a cable design into mittens, scarves, sweaters, etc. My question is: do I need to add stitches to the cast on or just knit the cable into the stitches called for in the pattern? In other words, do I have to increase the size of whatever I am knitting?

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
in addition to adjusting for the cables tendency to draw up a little width, plan to add 1 or 2 purl sts on both sides of your cable so they will stand out well...it's a lot of work to go to so you want them to show ...

this has enough kinds of cables for you to see how different cables pull up the fabric differently...i think you can see the 'ditches' on both sides of all the design sts that are the purl st outlines, too...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
TammyK said:
Deemail - Is that the start of a sweater? It's really beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product!
it is the front and back tops (you can barely see the second pc) of a boat neck sweater...the bottom will be deep chocolate brown (waiting for the call from my LYS) that is on order...i plan to bring some, but not all of the sts/cables down into the brown...this was a great color for me but the 4 skeins was all i had and it was years old, so i knew there was no hope of matching...besides the dark brown across my hips will make me look like a size 10, right????? lol.....

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
deemail said:
TammyK said:
Deemail - Is that the start of a sweater? It's really beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product!
it is the front and back tops (you can barely see the second pc) of a boat neck sweater...the bottom will be deep chocolate brown (waiting for the call from my LYS) that is on order...i plan to bring some, but not all of the sts/cables down into the brown...this was a great color for me but the 4 skeins was all i had and it was years old, so i knew there was no hope of matching...besides the dark brown across my hips will make me look like a size 10, right????? lol.....
Brilliant! :thumbup: And this color will go very nicely with a chocolate brown.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Deemail - Not only do I love your work in progress with all those cables, but your stitch markers as well. I use safety pins. LOL Can't wait to see the finished project.

Betty - Glad you are getting into cables because they're fun to do and you'll love the results.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Loves2Knit said:
Deemail - Not only do I love your work in progress with all those cables, but your stitch markers as well. I use safety pins. LOL Can't wait to see the finished project.

Betty - Glad you are getting into cables because they're fun to do and you'll love the results.
I like to use the yarn for two reasons... one is that i have as many as i want...never run out and i don't really care for the hard markers clicking and turning, etc., the other is, and you can see it in my pic...the different colors tell me automatically when i get to a particular design st....no counting to see where you are...i mark my patterns with blue, pink, green, etc., and know immediately what's happening... a real boon in a complicated pattern...

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
neraalk said:
Is this some design you created yourself? Donna
well, it's designs from three different patterns...i liked the ribbing from one, one cable from another and the middle cable from still another....when plotting how wide i wanted it to be, i broke up the leftover sts and just put a few popcorns in to fill it out...i was lucky as all designs used divided evenly into 32...so every once in awhile they all come out even...i'd like to claim credit for this, but no.....it was a complete fluke....

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
i have done aran type cabled projects but none as complicated as yours. cables work nicely with scarves and i did a couple. i have also used them on fingerless gloves. but these are small items and don't accommodate such intricacy as your sweater. did a few cable patterned hats. they are fun tho.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
they are fun, aren't they? and so much bang for your buck...I think they're much easier to do than an allover pattern where you have to worry about different sts on every row, but it really looks like you did something...

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Yes. Especially when you can do them without a cable needle. The small cables are easy to do that way but I have been trying to do bigger cables. Worsted yarn has let me handle C6's and have tried a couple of C8 patterns. You can really zip along that way. You can tell, I can be impatient, not to mention awkward. I have a disability with my hand, having lost an index finger. It is amazing how something that looks so small can have such a total impact on your entire state of coordination. So I like the simplicity of doing cables w/o the extra needle to control.

·
Registered
53 Posts
deemail said:
in addition to adjusting for the cables tendency to draw up a little width, plan to add 1 or 2 purl sts on both sides of your cable so they will stand out well...it's a lot of work to go to so you want them to show ...

this has enough kinds of cables for you to see how different cables pull up the fabric differently...i think you can see the 'ditches' on both sides of all the design sts that are the purl st outlines, too...
Your cable swatch is awesome. I also am interested in trying an intericate cable designe as you've displayed. Will keep your advice in mind! First have to add to my cable needles supply as only have a few.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
sorry, you only need one cable needle...i think there must be some confusion....the cable needle is used for just a minute while you produce the cable and then gets put down till the next cable comes up.... maybe you're thinking about something else???

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
tamarque said:
Yes. Especially when you can do them without a cable needle. The small cables are easy to do that way but I have been trying to do bigger cables. Worsted yarn has let me handle C6's and have tried a couple of C8 patterns. You can really zip along that way. You can tell, I can be impatient, not to mention awkward. I have a disability with my hand, having lost an index finger. It is amazing how something that looks so small can have such a total impact on your entire state of coordination. So I like the simplicity of doing cables w/o the extra needle to control.
believe me, i understand completely....in 2000 I cut the tendon on the outside of my thumb...they tried twice to repair it but neither worked...it is still numb, (in itself, not a big problem, except i burn it all the time because i can't feel anything till it's too late) but the change in how i have to do things is amazing...and of course, this is such a little thing.... there are people out there with real problems but still amazes me how much i used my left hand, much more than i would have thought...

I am lucky that i am able to sew, quilt and knit so i try to remember that when i drop something for the 10th time in a morning....(the numbness doesn't give me a clue about when i have a grip on something, I reach for something and grab, just like i always did, and sometimes it does work...and sometimes i get my exercise bending over) (one of my favorite quotes: Art Linkletter answered when asked how old age had affected him..... "It doesn't stop me from doing much, but I do find that when I bend over to pick up something, I look around to see what else I can get while I'm down there!"..... Too True!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom