Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you add a new skein of yarn to your work?

I've added in the middle of my needle, and then knitted the loose ends in. That works on heavier yarn, but doesn't seem to work as well when using light-weight yarn.
I've also picked up new yarn at the end of a row. Again, on light weight yarn, it doesn't seem to work very well.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I do a needle connection.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I was expecting someone else to jump in to give you a link to a video for the Russian join, but since they didn't here you go:
This works easiest when you're joining a new ball of the same color. If you need to change colors, someone suggested that you knit up to where you want the new color to be, mark it on your yarn, undo a couple stitches to give yourself some room, and then do the join where you marked it.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
This is a link on how you would join a new skein of yarn in the middle of your work. I have used this often and love it so far.. It is not supose to come undone... as for joining in a new color as you work I would try YouTube videos for 'adding a new color' I have not gotten that far in my knitting yet so I don't know a good way to do it... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yipee!!! Yahoo!!!

After all these years, two new ways to add yarn. I love both of them. I can hardly wait to run out of yarn in the middle of my work.

Thank you ladies and/or gentlemen.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Ronie said:
http://pinterest.com/pin/154389093445364151/ This is a link on how you would join a new skein of yarn in the middle of your work. I have used this often and love it so far.. It is not supose to come undone... as for joining in a new color as you work I would try YouTube videos for 'adding a new color' I have not gotten that far in my knitting yet so I don't know a good way to do it... :)
This join is easy and one I can remember. I have trouble with the russian join as I can't stay in the center of it. I think it takes practice and when I'm in the middle of knitting I don't want to put my knitting down until I have the hang of it.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
MarilynKnits said:
I found out about the braided join in one of the forums and like it. You can make it tight enough to thin the double yarn so it hardly shows. I pin it down on my ironing table to hold the yarn in place to make a neat braid.
I agree...this is another super easy one. Haven't tried it yet but I can braid hair.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just watched the Russian join and the magic knot - I will use the magic knot - so happy to have this info as I am doing a scarf with 2 colors - next time I change color I will know how to do it the proper way!! I love the videos - just so much easier to understand. Thanks so much Ladies for sharing your knowledge!!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
It depends on the yarn content. I have used Russian and braided join for many yarns. Slippery and bulky yarns dont' work well with Russian, but the braided works great. I have used the Russian on sock yarns, but haven't gotten it to work well with lace yarns. Can't wait to try the magic knot. If using wool (other than mercerized wool) I use the spit or felted method. This is where you divide the piles from both loose ends to join. Then you lick your palms and place the 2 ends together between your hands and rub. This felts the 2 strands together making a sturdy join. I have used this on all weights of wool as long as the wool is at least 2 strands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom