Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm really gonna do it this time. I have tried on and off over the years to knit on dpns, but have always given up. This afternoon, I tried again. I got the basic concept, but I have several questions:
1. Do you join the third needle through the first cast on stitch?
2. How do you keep the stitches fron getting totally twisted? I actually got to the 2nd row, but everything was so twisted up that I had to rip it all out.
3. Does it just take a lot of practice, or does working on 4 needles ALWAYS feel like wresting an octopus? This is one of the most awkward things I have ever done!!!
Thanks for everyone's input. My next project is to master circular needles. I learned how to knit 25 years ago, but just the most basics and have never really progressed. I've decided I need to get out of my comfort zone. Time to shake myself up!!!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
books, it does get easier. I cast on, on a straight needle and knit 2-3 rows before I join in the round and divide the stitches. When project is finished I just sew up the few rows before the joined stitches. Hope that helps you out some. Kat

·
Registered
27,081 Posts
KatStabe said:
books, it does get easier. I cast on, on a straight needle and knit 2-3 rows before I join in the round and divide the stitches. When project is finished I just sew up the few rows before the joined stitches. Hope that helps you out some. Kat
This is best tip you will get. Work a few rows flat before joining. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to join after the stitches are established.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
KatStabe said:
Yep. This is the line of least resistence and that is a good thing.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the advice, really, but, it seems like cheating. I guess I really wanted to learn the old school way. However I will try to not be so stubborn and try your way. Still feel like I'm wresting an octopus, though.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
books said:
I appreciate the advice, really, but, it seems like cheating. I guess I really wanted to learn the old school way. However I will try to not be so stubborn and try your way. Still feel like I'm wresting an octopus, though.
:) Once you win the wrestling match with the octopus you can give starting completely on the DPN's. One step at a time . . . Baby steps, baby steps . . . ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I too hate dpns. I am currently knitting a baby sweater withe the sleeves on dpns. I have gotten them twisted, gone the wrong direction so that there are not the same # of rows knitted. i cannot figure out how I did that. It is only 26 stitches for 6" and it is taking forever! I've been on the computer all night avoid this sweet little sweater. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
15,969 Posts
books said:
Try the Magic Loop with one long circular needle, you get the same results and (I have found) its so much easier.
To get a good join, add 1 extra stitch, and then cast it off or k2 together when you join up.

·
Registered
52,611 Posts
It does get easier- I feel like I'm juggling a porcupine. Once you have a few rounds it is easier- but the early rounds are always fiddly until you get it established.
There is no such thing as cheating- whatever gets it done looking good is the important thing. And once you have the hang of using DPNs then you can always try doing it without a few straight rows before you head into rounds if you really want to. But if you can start with a couple of rows flat. (it does depend what you are doing, one of my current projects started with 4 stitches as the centre of a flat piece of knitting and that I had to do in the round from the start- it was frogged a number of times before I finally got it done. Would have used magic loop- but all my suitable circulars were in use (I find especially when I am using a few stitches that magic loop is easier).

Circular needles are very easy if the diameter of what you are knitting is small enough to fit around the needles- it really only needs mastering if you are trying to learn magic loop. Maybe starting with project on circulars and then moving to DPNs would help. In fact if you have a smallish circular why not do a hat- learn the principles of circular knitting in an easy way and then when your diameter gets too small during the crown shaping move then to DPNs- and you are then learning to juggle with your sttiches already established. Then when you move to starting a project on DPNs you at least are used to working with them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
It does get easer. However I use a set of 5 DPN's it's easier. I tried 4 and threw it across the room! I find if I lay the needles down and get the cast on edge facing inwards so I usually manage to get it straight when joining it up. But it can be frustrating when you begin - so just keep knitting and that "light bulb" moment will happen.

·
Registered
32,663 Posts
It will get a lot easier. Try the advice on knitting a few rows first. Then put the knitting on a table and make sure it is not twisted before you join. When you put it on the table and position the needles in a circle it will help to understand what is going on when you knit it the round.

Using dpns is a good technique to know. I try to use circulars whenever the item is small enough. But may projects like hats or socks still require the use of dpns to finish them.

So keep trying.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I have found knitting the continental style on dpn's works better for me than throwing the yarn. I have better control on the tension and can give the yarn a yank when I do the first stitch on the next dpn, if I do that I don't get a ladder and the work is very evenly done. I tried the magic loop again and what a battle that was, got out my trusty dpn's and had the cuff done in no time. Anything worthwhile doing takes time and practice.

Carol J.

·
Registered
403 Posts
SpangleB said:
It does get easer. However I use a set of 5 DPN's it's easier. I tried 4 and threw it across the room! I find if I lay the needles down and get the cast on edge facing inwards so I usually manage to get it straight when joining it up. But it can be frustrating when you begin - so just keep knitting and that "light bulb" moment will happen.
This is exactly the advice I was going to give - it made all the difference to me when I was getting started. Good luck - you'll soon be a pro :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Trust me knitting with DP needles does get easier. I have been knitting socks now for over a year and it is much easier now than it was, for most anything I decide to knit with DP needles. The first 2-3 rows is sometimes very frustrating but after that it is easy. And I knit with 5 also, seems to be more room in the middle!! Happy knitting

·
Registered
430 Posts
Just a thought: some cast on methods just naturally tend to twist more than others. I find the basic backwards loop or e-style cast on is very "twisty". Also the lesser known Chinese Waitress cast on tends to twist. I have less trouble with the double-strand types, like Long Tail and Old Norwegian (aka German Twisted).

What cast-on are you using?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom