Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with a vintage stole pattern from 1930s please.The pattern is four rows:

IST Row:*(K.2tog.)3 times, (m.1,k.1)5 times, m.1, (k.2 tog.b) 3 times; repeat from * to end.
2ND Row: K. into each st., winding the wool twice round the needle for each stitch.
3RD Row: *K.1, at the same time dropping the second loop off the needle; repeat from * to end.
4TH Row All k.

M1 presumably means miss one? But was does k.2 tog. b mean? Knit two together, but what is the b? Also not sure re dropping a second loop off? How do you do that?

Advice please! Ruth

·
Registered
429 Posts
M1 is make one, a type of increase worked on the running yarn between stitches. Generally knit through back loop to put a twist into it. The k2 tog B doesn't ring a bell, but it could be knit two together through back loop to give a decorative twist to it.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
M-1 usually means make 1. If the pattern says k2tog b probably means through the back loop. Dropping the second loop off is just sliding it off the needle. That is what will give you the "open work" or lace look.

If you have a link for the pattern we can take a look and be sure.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
After reading through the pattern K.2togb means knit two together through the back of the stitches or modern language k2tbl!

Hope this helps!

Cindy

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
It tells you just below the picture what the abbreviations mean:

k.2 tog.b = knit 2 together through the backs of the stitches.

m. = make by bringing the wool to the front of the needle before working the next stitch.
(Basically a YO).

2ND Row: K. into each st., winding the wool twice round the needle for each stitch. (2 Yarn Overs).
3RD Row: *K.1, at the same time dropping the second loop off the needle; repeat from * to end.
(Will be dropping the second loop created in the prior row by the Yarn over twice steps.
K1. Knit the first YO and then drop the second YO you did).

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
ruthtamsin said:
Great! Really appreciate your fast response Cindy! Haven't started the stole yet as bit daunted by the abbreviations, but will get cracking now! Many thanks - Ruth
No problem. I always try to read through a pattern first, and look for what the designer is trying to tell me. That way if I don't understand something can try to get an answer or do a little research. Certainly saves a little frustration down the road.

Good Luck!

Cindy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks - Am just getting back into knitting after a gap of many years, and I suppose I was lacking in the initial confidence needed; and my mother has since died - she was so patient at helping!! Used to do a lot of Fair Isle and recently found the lovely zipped padded bag, in pristine condition, with all my old needles and a crochet hook. There was also a nice pair of big wooden ones which I need for a Vintage hat pattern I just bought. No excuse now! Love this site - joined this afternoon!

·
Registered
429 Posts
This pattern is very similar to the Old Shale (which is a dialectal variation on the word shell). It is frequently called father and fan, but that is not correct. Feather and fan is made in straight column, no fan shapped scallops. The extra yarn overs adds extra length to the stitches when you drop the 2nd loop. Gives a more lacy look than the original Old Shale.

Be careful to count your pattern stitches correctly. You should be adding stitches with the yarn overs, and dropping stitches with the k2togtbl's and the total count should remain the same so you don't end up getting wider and wider.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
I tried to post it as a pdf and it would save as, but it won't attach and post to page. Sorry!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Finally! Jessica Jean, plz let me know if you were able to open it! It is on my previous post.

·
Premium Member
81,337 Posts
cindye6556 said:
Finally! Jessica Jean, plz let me know if you were able to open it! It is on my previous post.
Yes! Yes, I am able to open it, though page one of the pdf is blank. I can use the blank space to write my notes!
Thank you very much, but I'd like to take exception to the term 'vintage' being applied to something that was new when I was eleven years old! I don't think of myself as 'vintage', not yet anyway. :thumbup:

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
cindye6556 said:
Yes! Yes, I am able to open it, though page one of the pdf is blank. I can use the blank space to write my notes!
Thank you very much, but I'd like to take exception to the term 'vintage' being applied to something that was new when I was eleven years old! I don't think of myself as 'vintage', not yet anyway. :thumbup:
Yes, I know the first page was blank, as it was in the word doc. I tried to make it go away, but was unsucessful.

The pattern is a year younger than I am, and like you take exception to the term vintage! :lol:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Took a few tries to get it to download.
If you still can't get it, send me your email address and I will send it as an attachment

love it
Thank you for having a problem, so that we can all make one :p

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom