Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start making socks on one round needle..not magic loop...so there seems to be a lot of discussion 9" vs 12"..also what sizes should I get for fingering and worsted weights? And where is the best place to order them..LYS are a bust here in Northern NH.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Either 9" or 12" circs will work just fine. I prefer the 9", but you have to get used to them. Patternworks is in Center Harbor. Or you could look up 9" circular needles on the web, and see who/where sells them. Good luck. These needles are super! They come in all sizes (I have #1-#8s and can use them for socks and mittens, cuffs, etc.)

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I bought mine off ebay,from a chinese dealer,I got a bundle of 9's and a bundle of 12's,they are bamboo,the cables are soft and I love working with them.Both sets were under $20.00 and the shipping was free,i received them in under 2 weeks . :-D

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
motherdawg said:
I want to start making socks on one round needle..not magic loop...so there seems to be a lot of discussion 9" vs 12"..also what sizes should I get for fingering and worsted weights? And where is the best place to order them..LYS are a bust here in Northern NH.
I get my 9" straight from Clover.usa.com. I use Takumi Bamboo Premium. I prefer bamboo for the small work. It gives me more control.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Sockit2me is our "resident expert" on this subject... Having knitted literally hundreds of socks using this method. He uses a 12" needle, but I know several knitters who use a 9"... Personal preference.

I have always used 9" for knitting mittens, but since knitting socks on the 12" needles, I find them slightly more comfortable.

Bamboo is not recommended for knitting socks because the needle to cable ratio is equal..... Your stitches will "stick" and not glide around easily.

I buy ChiaoGoo needles from handsome fibers. Great product, fast and free shipping and great customer service. Many also use the HiyaHiya and Addi small circs. Again, personal preference. Make sure you have a look at sockit2me's free pattern/tutorial... It will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-188670-1.html

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Lolly12 said:
I bought mine off ebay,from a chinese dealer,I got a bundle of 9's and a bundle of 12's,they are bamboo,the cables are soft and I love working with them.Both sets were under $20.00 and the shipping was free,i received them in under 2 weeks . :-D
Lolly12
I bought the same needles and I love them. I smoothed them a little more by running them through my fingers for a little bit. The oil in the skin did the trick.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
motherdawg said:
Patternworks has a very good needle assortment. But there is no way I can knit with a circular shorter than 16"

·
Registered
32,665 Posts
Ditto.

Especially enjoy Sockit2Me's pattern.

Great advice.

AmyKnits said:
Sockit2me is our "resident expert" on this subject... Having knitted literally hundreds of socks using this method. He uses a 12" needle, but I know several knitters who use a 9"... Personal preference.

I have always used 9" for knitting mittens, but since knitting socks on the 12" needles, I find them slightly more comfortable.

Bamboo is not recommended for knitting socks because the needle to cable ratio is equal..... Your stitches will "stick" and not glide around easily.

I buy ChiaoGoo needles from handsome fibers. Great product, fast and free shipping and great customer service. Many also use the HiyaHiya and Addi small circs. Again, personal preference. Make sure you have a look at sockit2me's free pattern/tutorial... It will answer a lot of your questions.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-188670-1.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom