Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Please let us know if you like the yarn. I have a sister allergic to wool and I have been looking for some interesting cotton or silk yarn to knit something for her.

Thank you

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will let everyone know about the yarn when it arrives. Do remember that this is 100% cotton and will need to be hand laundered and laid flat to dry.

The seller's largest inventory seems to be fingering weight but also has some sport weight available.

I'm very intrigued by this yarn..the colors are lovely and so well planned out.

This is the 2nd time I've found "unique" yarn on Etsy in the last few months. In between projects I've been working on a scarf from a blend of Angora and Mohair that I picked up for a very reasonable price.

Sometimes when I get bored with the yarn choices from shops and my own wheel, I browse Etsy.

·
Registered
473 Posts
So how about this for the Ashton? I haven't worked with cotton except peaches and cream, don't like to work with it and colors run. I'll be interested to see how you like this, it is beautiful!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt you could compare this to peaches n' cream. Peaches n' cream is a mass produced, worsted weight, "kitchen cotton". Hardly comparable to this artisan dyed, light weight yarn.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I wasn't comparing, just wondering if it would bleed! This yarn looks positively luscious, and I would consider ordering it. I just have no other experience with cotton yarns.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any yarn is capable of dye shed. Most artisan dyers that I know make sure the dyes are property "set".

What I was trying to say is that since your only experience is with Peaches n' cream, don't use that as a comparison. I have a bit of experience with plant fiber (including cotton) yarns.

If your finding that any particular yarn you are working with is shedding excess dye, you could wind it into hanks, tie it and soak or spray it fully with a mixture of white vinegar and water (25% white vinegar, 75% water)...let it set for a while then roll in a towel to remove excess moisture and allow to air dry..this will "set the dye".

My order has shipped on the yarn I posted the link for, will let you all know when it arrives and my opinion.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had great success with Etsy sellers, they tend to ship a little faster than most retail operations do.

I wish I could answer your question on the Ashton Shawl.. I don't know how well that pattern works with color changing yarn. One of the most popular color changing yarns are the JoJoland yarns (beautiful stuff). You might want to see if someone has made the Ashton up in the fingering weight JoJoland brand.

What has me attracted to this Etsy seller's yarn is that you get one continuous ball with the color changes rather than trying to splice together several balls (as you would have to with JoJoland brand).

My new grandson will be born this spring and I'd like to make his mother a nice "nursing" shawl. Something that provides a little modesty, without being heavy or bulky.

·
Registered
673 Posts
courier770 said:
Believe it or not the yarn arrived today...the colors are fantastic and this is super soft yarn! I'll be ordering from this seller again!!!

My little camera isn't the greatest but I decided to take a photograph anyway.
It looks scrumptious ! Be sure to post a picture of your finished project

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This seller is going to get some great feed back from me. The order was processed quickly, shipped quickly, arrived in record time too. They wrapped the center pull ball in pretty tissue paper and included a piece of candy and some tea I've never tried before too!

I've not decided on a project yet though. Since we are being buried in a snow storm..I have a few days to decide!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom