Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poor kitty-she's my 6 year old orange cat, was in the back yard when my daughter and friend arrived with there 4 dogs on Friday last. DD had called to say they were coming to hang out by the pool. I forgot Alley was outside and was teaching a neighbor and friend to knit.

They came in via the gate, leaving the 4 dogs in the yard, and they went back to the car to get their swim things.

Short story-long--Alley was attacked by the 4 large dogs and now is at the vets. IV, antibiotics, 5 drains in her abdomen, ? broken ribs, and quadricept muscles both torn. She is, of course, heavily sedated.

The vet allows pet owners to visit, so I spent time there yesterday. She recognized me meowing and picking up her little head, putting a paw on my hand.

Vet says he is encouraged by this, as Alley hadn't moved at all since she has been there.

Am going over to be with her-visiting hours are 3-5pm today. I'm in a quandary about whether to put her down. She is suffering so much. Please say a prayer for her and for me to be able to make the best decision for her.

Thanks all, Karen

·
Registered
453 Posts
oh dear thats very sad, if she was mine I would fight tooth and nail to keep her alive,if the vet says theres a chance go with it,its hard to see an animal suffer but its amazing what vets are able to do, I will be thinking of you both, and hope which ever way it goes at least you tried your best.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
My thoughts too. Your friend should be paying the vets fees. My cat swallowed some kind of poison five years ago and her throat almost closed up. She was treated at the vets for a few days and then they told me to take her home as she was not responding. That evening she crawled onto my lap and from that moment on, she began to get better. I hope your cat is responding to your visits, and gets well too.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Bless her! I really hope she pulls through, but she needs every chance given to her.

Sending good vibes and best wishes your way.

I must agree that I think it was irresponsible to leave four dogs when you know that a cat lives there. They at at least should have checked that the cat wasn't in the vicinity. Poor Alley, attacked in her own home. Not fair.

·
Registered
21,474 Posts
Don't make your decision too soon, give her a few days to respond to treatment. Cats are very resilient and often pull through the most dire circumstances.

Give her a gently stroke from me. I love cats.

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about poor Alley. It is such a hard decision to make. I have had to put pets down because of not being able to afford really expensive treatmenst and there being not much chance of survival. One of my cats had a chain of tumours down her abdomen with one absessing. She was operated on and I was able to pay it off and that was 18 months ago and Nomi is as good as new. I have often asked what they would do if it was their pet and they have often said that if it was theirs, they would put it down. They can't tell you what to do but they can give their honest opinion. My thoughts are with you at this painful and very sad time and I hope that everything works out for Alley. Also, I think you need advice about who needs to pay for the vet bills. I watch Judge Judy every day and I would think that the owners of the dogs would be responsible.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I would also ask the dog owners to pay the bill. If they had been my dogs, I would have asked if the coast was clear before coming in with them, especially when they knew what their reaction to a cat was and that cats lived there.

Personally, I wouldn't have them round again, it would upset me too much if I was in your shoes.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Oh I feel so for you and your poor puss. Perhaps as she is only 6 years old she should have the benefit of the doubt and see how she goes regarding recovery. We can get too emotional when we see our pets in distress and think that putting them to sleep is the best thing, when it can be amazing how they can fight back. I would discuss her chance of recovery with the vet and think with your head and not your emotions. It is natural to not want the poor little soul to suffer, but if she is a fighter she may surprise you. Let your vet guide you on your decision would be my advice and by all means visit her and spend time as that will probably aid her recovery - providing you don't get too distressed as she will pick up on that and it won't help her or you.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
nitnurse said:
Oh I feel so for you and your poor puss. Perhaps as she is only 6 years old she should have the benefit of the doubt and see how she goes regarding recovery. We can get too emotional when we see our pets in distress and think that putting them to sleep is the best thing, when it can be amazing how they can fight back. I would discuss her chance of recovery with the vet and think with your head and not your emotions. It is natural to not want the poor little soul to suffer, but if she is a fighter she may surprise you. Let your vet guide you on your decision would be my advice and by all means visit her and spend time as that will probably aid her recovery - providing you don't get too distressed as she will pick up on that and it won't help her or you.
If you look back a couple of posts, she has already been pts.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
nitnurse said:
I would just add that your vet can give your poor puss pain relief to help her through this, so she may look worse than she actually feels. I hope she pulls through.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
kmcnaught said:
Poor kitty-she's my 6 year old orange cat, was in the back yard when my daughter and friend arrived with there 4 dogs on Friday last. DD had called to say they were coming to hang out by the pool. I forgot Alley was outside and was teaching a neighbor and friend to knit.

They came in via the gate, leaving the 4 dogs in the yard, and they went back to the car to get their swim things.

Short story-long--Alley was attacked by the 4 large dogs and now is at the vets. IV, antibiotics, 5 drains in her abdomen, ? broken ribs, and quadricept muscles both torn. She is, of course, heavily sedated.

The vet allows pet owners to visit, so I spent time there yesterday. She recognized me meowing and picking up her little head, putting a paw on my hand.

Vet says he is encouraged by this, as Alley hadn't moved at all since she has been there.

Am going over to be with her-visiting hours are 3-5pm today. I'm in a quandary about whether to put her down. She is suffering so much. Please say a prayer for her and for me to be able to make the best decision for her.

Thanks all, Karen
I am very sorry. !!!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
wendyheather said:
nitnurse said:
Please read the posts - she has sadly been pts

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
wendyheather said:
nitnurse said:
Have looked but cannot see the post you refer to??

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Our animals need us when they are injured and in pain. Don't forget to talk to her and to touch her gently. She may let you know when or if she is ready to be let go. We had a cat that got caught in a trap for small animals. He had severe injuries (probably not as serious as your cat's injuries), but he let my husband treat him with the meds from the vet. WE didn't think he'd survive since he just lay around for the first few days, but one day he licked some baby food meat from a spoon, and then progressed to eating more from a dish -- all this took time, but he fully recovered

·
Registered
21,630 Posts
nitnurse said:
wendyheather said:
nitnurse said:
Have looked but cannot see the post you refer to??
Checked twice, can't find the post either.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom