Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone;

I'm new here and have only been knitting about 2 years. I have recently come into some Alpaca, not mixed with anything else, all natural colors. There are whites, tans, browns and greys. (No two colors are alike) Each skein is about 200 or 300 yards, total of about 2,200 yards.

My dilemma, and now yours, What do I do with it??? Lots of little projects (scarves, hats, mittens) or do I make an afghan/throw blanket (is 2,200 yards enough for an afghan??) HELP!!! Of course I'll have to admit that this is one problem I don't mind having. ;-)

This yarn is so soft and I just want to roll around in it . . . <sigh> the things that give us grafication

Any and all thoughts, ideas and suggestions are VERY WELCOME.

After I decide what I'm going to make I'll need suggestions for pattern(s).

Thanks everyone
Diana

Oh, I'm LOVING this site :-D

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Sounds like the beginnings of a project with design - like a wonderful sweater with slip-knits or some kind of intarsia. It will be a new skill level for you to try and the results could be a one-of-a-kind, gorgeous wearable project. Or, start small with a hat, scarf, or boot toppers, gloves, handbag of a Boho styling. Here's some ideas on intarsia patterning with Alpaca:

http://www.google.com/search?q=alpaca+intarsia&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Eug8UJTXCcuNqQGf1IDQCQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=775

Attachments

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Lucky, lucky you. Alpaca is probably my favorite fiber. How about a long sweater coat or longish tunic in stripes? I should think you have plenty for an afgahn as well, just need to do a little swatch to see what gauge is best and then shop for a pattern with that in mind... or it will be on label, if this is a labelled yarn....

Welcome from Texas...... You will find so much inspiration and help here. Enjoy...

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
I'd vote for a garment of some kind...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mrs B and all the others. Thanks for the input so far . . .

Intarsia is not a bad idea. I've played with it a bit and YouTube will be able to help as well as the LYS . . . Maybe I'll start with a hat and then make an afghan, a matching scarf, if there is extra yarn . . . Oh my . . .

OK, I need to finish the scarf I've been ignoring . . . <sigh>

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, Alpaca is lovely and warm so I would make some garment or other. You would have enough for a shawl (A wingspan perhaps). However, I find the fibre to be quite soft and needs careful washing. Good luck, Yours, Ellen

·
Registered
67 Posts
Although an afghan would be beautiful, I wouldn't want to wash it by hand. It would be very heavy, once in the water, and hard to get the water out. Plus it would probably take forever to dry. I'd do some garments that are smaller and easier to handle.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Molegringa said:
Hi Everyone;

I'm new here and have only been knitting about 2 years. I have recently come into some Alpaca, not mixed with anything else, all natural colors. There are whites, tans, browns and greys. (No two colors are alike) Each skein is about 200 or 300 yards, total of about 2,200 yards.

My dilemma, and now yours, What do I do with it??? Lots of little projects (scarves, hats, mittens) or do I make an afghan/throw blanket (is 2,200 yards enough for an afghan??) HELP!!! Of course I'll have to admit that this is one problem I don't mind having. ;-)

Log Cabin construction afghan...these colors would be great and you won't have to worry about quantities...make it up as you go. I'm not sure you have enough, but check out the Rambling Rows afghan pattern...two yrs of knitting? you 're ready for this. The mitered squares and rectangles are fun...

This yarn is so soft and I just want to roll around in it . . . <sigh> the things that give us grafication

Thanks everyone
Diana

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
linzers said:
Molegringa said:
Hi Everyone;

Log Cabin construction afghan...these colors would be great and you won't have to worry about quantities...make it up as you go. I'm not sure you have enough, but check out the Rambling Rows afghan pattern...two yrs of knitting? you 're ready for this. The mitered squares and rectangles are fun...

Thanks everyone
Diana

Some how my reply mixed into the quoted text...Log cabin/Rambling Rows comment should be segregated...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Alpaca is soooo soft and drapey. That's the good news. It's also a little bit relxed and stretchy. That can be the bad news.

So, I'd go with items where a soft, relaxed stretch would be ok, like shawls and scarves and cowls and such.

Are your skeins solid colors? I once found some skeins of undyed baby alpaca, strands of cream, grey, tan twisted together to make a tweed. Still looking for the right project for them.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I recently visited an Alpaca farm in Maine. In their store were the most beautiful socks. Each selection was named after the specific Alpaca that donated its fleece. Really neat!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I love alpaca and use a lot of it. Sounds like you have plenty for a great afghan. Or lots of smaller projects and gifts. If you do decide to make a sweater, remember alpaca really stretches. I recently made a kimono and started with 100% alpaca. It was to stretchy, so someone suggested adding a very fine lace weight yarn of 100% wool and it did the trick. I did have to re check gauge, but the result was worth it. I'm kind of a loose knitter and this helped a lot. Enjoy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow, lots of suggestions :)

Linzer, not to be stupid but, what is log cabin/rambling rows???

I didn't think about washing the afghan . . . Hmmmmm

I didn't know it was stretchy either . . . <so much to learn>

Oh I want to go to an Alpaca farm. I haven't been but when I got the wool, they give you a . . . business card with the Alpaca's picture and name on it and a few lines about that Alpaca on the back; name, age, date of birth, if they have siblings or not, if they have kids . . . it's really cute.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm getting so excited to do something with this stuff . . . jumping up and down inside.

·
Registered
645 Posts
We just bought 3 alpacas for our farm. Sassy the reddish one. Smitty is the black one and Vanessa is the white one. I am hoping to find someone who can turn their wool into yarn. They are so neat. I love to watch them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Dreamweaver said:
Lucky, lucky you. Alpaca is probably my favorite fiber. How about a long sweater coat or longish tunic in stripes? I should think you have plenty for an afgahn as well, just need to do a little swatch to see what gauge is best and then shop for a pattern with that in mind... or it will be on label, if this is a labelled yarn....

Welcome from Texas...... You will find so much inspiration and help here. Enjoy...
Yup, a garment in alpaca is heaven! I love the animals, too! A friend of mine has a small alpaca farm. She has a male named Constantine, but his nickname is "Stan." Well, I call him "Stan, the Man," because he is!! LOL!!! He loves women and is all over them, batting his very long eyelashes at us! He's not as fond of men, and I love him to pieces! LOL!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Linzer, not to be stupid but, what is log cabin/rambling rows???

Log cabin construction uses blocks of color to build a patterned fabric. Skills required: knit stitch (to create garter), picking up stitches, and cast on at the end of a pre existing row. Rambling Rows is a pattern printed by Cottage Creation. The same skill knowledge is used to create mitered squares and rectangles. If you Google Log Cabin knitting you will find tutorials, and many inspiring pictures. This is another case where one picture is worth 1,000 words. The Rambling Rows pattern is privately owned and has to be purchased. I imagine looking at posted projects on Ravelry would provide further inspiration.
Log Cabin is easier to do and easier to decide when completed, so if you run out of any one of the yarns it will not be catastrophic. Good luck with this. Think of it as a journey or an adventure and have fun! Let us know how you are progressing...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own alpacas and agree that larger projects will stretcch because alpaca has no "memory" like wool does. I blend at least 10% merino with my alpaca before spinning so that if someone purchases my yarn for a larger project the garment will keep its shape. I also recommend making several smaller projects out of your precious 100% alpaca. It is truly a treasure to work with and you are so fortunate to experience how luxurious it is. Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alpaca is the reason I learned to knit. My aunt had on an alpaca shawl and I loved it. She said if I wanted one I had to learn to knit. 20 mins later we were on the couch...

Have fun with it!!!

And yes... My very first project eVer was an alpaca shawl I LOVE!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom