Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Mac, I live in northern Wisconsin. My wife and I raise alpacas for fun and profit. So far, not much profit, but having lots of fun. We have 17 of the furry creatures and get about 70 pounds of fleece each spring. We turn that into yarn, which is an aufull lot of yarn. Ann (my wife) and I are learning to knit and we have two spinning wheels, which we don't know how to use yet, but we are going to learn. We also have a loom, we'll learn that too. Anyway, if anyone is interested seeing our ranch and our "babies", please feel free to text me. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi - I am a spinner in the UP of Michigan. I saw your post on the Alpacas and wanted to let you know that if you have fleece that you would like to sell, I am always interested. Thanks! Also, if you have questions about spinning, just let me know and I'll see if I can help you out. Kris

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We currently have approx. 24 bags of unsorted fleece. I'm sure my wife would be happy to sell you some, so we don't have to clean it.LOL It's not as dirty as it sounds. Just a few sticks or grass in it. Takes about 20 minutes to go thru a bag and clean. We have black, three shades of white, and three shades of brown. We also have a rose grey color (Beautiful, my favorite) and a brown/white mix from our pinto alpaca. If you e-mail my wife, she will fill you in on prices and details. ([email protected])
We are always in the market to sell what we have available. Thanks for inquiring. Mac

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes we do sell the yarn, unfortunately we have a very limited supply right now. Some black, brown, and heather color.
We sell the black for $4.00 an ounce,(because it's 15% wool) the brown for $4.50 an ounce 100% alpaca. Hopefully in the near future we will have more. Keep in touch and I'll let you know when it's in stock. It goes fast, as all knitters love it. It's so soft and luxurious.
Average skein size is 8 Oz. We have fairly big skeins, however, we can ball in up in 4-5 oz size if you like. Thanks for asking.Mac

·
Registered
16,345 Posts
ethgro said:
How sweet are those alpacas! Is it true that even though one is allergic to wool, alpaca doesn't irritate?
It's true for me--I am allergic to sheep's wool, but alpaca is wonderful! I am SO happy I found another natural fiber I can work with. And lately, I've been doing some calculations that show alpaca wool is comparable to acrylic for by-the-yard price. Life's too short to work with bad yarn, so try it out; I think you'll love it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oh good, Sorlenna. I too hate working on nasty yarn. I can work on wool although it is rough on my hands - gotta only use it for small projects though I did knit myself a Norwegian sweater years ago. I got nice soft wool yarn for the project but do have to wear a long sleeved turtleneck when I wear it. I live in Florida now so I get it out when I travel up north in the Winter. I'm excited to try some Alpaca!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom