Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start a wingspan shawl that I am trying to make uniquely mine. I am going to use #10 needle, worsted weight self striping yarn, casting on 99 stitches, not sure yet how many stitches I'll use for the separate cast on rows, using a stockingknit stitch, enlarging holes w/ YOs, adding a row of beads between sections. I am not a designer in knitting so I am asking for some feedback from all of you who have altered patterns. Do you see any problems I may run into with these ideas? Also, what do you think of knitting a heart in the middle of each section? Over doing it? I look forward to any suggestions.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
personally I think the yarn and the needle size will be fine.. not sure about the stitch count because I made mine several months back and don't know what the original count was supose to be.. if this is you first wingspan I would follow the directions and not do too much altering.. after you have made one then decided what you will do to make it yours... if you want to do it in SS stitch then you will need to put a edging on it... best of luck with this... I hope that anyone that has made this will post and help...

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
If you are interested in achieving symmetry, then the math (ie # of stitches you cast on) is important, as is the consistency for where you turn your work (short row). Look on Ravelry. There are some wonderful examples of work people have done when playing with short rows, color and and whimsy. I agree about simplicity of detail. The self striping yarn and hearts? I don't see your vision. I think the advise to at least start a wingspan as it is written is good. Better to understand the basic structure b/f adding variation. Good luck. Let us see what you create.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree with Momana that stockinette will roll and distort the way a Wingspan is supposed to look. I think you'll be fine with your own choices of how many to cast on, yarn weight, number of stitches to offset the triangles. I knit one Wingspan with sock yarn and followed the designer's numbers, but I plan to make another with heavier yarn and the same number of cast-on stitches, to make the shawl bigger.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
momanna said:
Please remember that the SS stitch will roll! It probably would be best to use a combination of garter on the sides and ss in the center. See Spectra by Stephen West on Ravelry. This will give you an idea. Additionally, too much detail can ruin a design. Just my input, as you requested.
Thanks for the reminder about SS rolling. I am currently working on a project that has a seed stitch on the edge that doesn't roll (5 stitch). Maybe I'll try that. PS: I have made a wingspan according to original pattern already.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
Oh thats good you have already made one so you know the basics of the pattern.. I have to tell you the whole time I was making mine I was thinking this is a perfect pattern to play with.. I'll be interested to see what you come up with. You never know the curling from the SS stitch just might look pretty neet.. it would just be the tips.. either way I think you will have fun with this... if the heart idea comes out ok I'd be interested... my GD is Feb 15 so we call her our little valentine.. she's going to be 14... oh my time fly's... plus we were married on valentines day so hearts are a fav of mine..

PATCHER said:
momanna said:
Please remember that the SS stitch will roll! It probably would be best to use a combination of garter on the sides and ss in the center. See Spectra by Stephen West on Ravelry. This will give you an idea. Additionally, too much detail can ruin a design. Just my input, as you requested.
Thanks for the reminder about SS rolling. I am currently working on a project that has a seed stitch on the edge that doesn't roll (5 stitch). Maybe I'll try that. PS: I have made a wingspan according to original pattern already.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toni, my grandparents were married on Valentines day also. They were married 65 years before Grandpa passed. A day of love to keep your hearts together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom