Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been doing a lot of knitting and automatically started to cast on (long tail). So this is what I did:
I cast on 2 stitches in long tail cast on, on a crochet hook,
* picked the yarn up with the hook and pulled it through the 2 stitches (1 stitch on hook), cast on another stitch (2 stitches on the hook)* repeat from * to * till you have the number of chains required, then you can crochet normally as if you had chained up in the usual way. It looks like a cord, but flat. I have used it when doing baby bonnets, mittens etc. and also when starting Tunisian or Croknit crochet.
It tends to curl a bit, but seems to straighten out when you crochet into it, but it is slightly tighter than your main crochet tension, which is great for a bonnet but you could use a larger hook just for the cast on if you want a looser edge.
If you are wanting an edging on the finished item, you can also pick up and crochet along the other edge.
I will be using this method a lot on garments where you want a nice flat edge. I hope you find it useful. Terri.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Wow, never thought about that. I've still been hesitant to try the provisional cast on to make a hat my husband has been requesting for some time now.

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I'm not good at visualizing something from words, so I will have to try this technique when I get a minute.
It does sounds a little like foundation chain, which can be done in single, or any crochet stitch, and gives you the chain and first row of your piece all at once. it's a great technique, but I tend not to remember it unless the pattern suggests!. Maybe suggesting it will help me!

Here's a you-tube video showing it, there are many - I learned from one on allfreecrochet web site.

Is your similar and what advantages do you find to using it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom