Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been knitting for 2 mos. and this is my first attempt at a sweater for my niece. (size 12 mos)

http://remoteimages.marymaxim.com/sites/us/production/images/freepatterns/6776P.pdf

I am knitting the first sleeve and as I cast off on every alternate row to reduce the stitches down from original 41 to 11, the raglan edge seems to be much longer on the sleeve than it does on the front left raglan edge or the back raglan edge. Is this because it's a hoodie? Am I missing something. Is it supposed to be like that or did I do something wrong somehow.

My first 'flag' was after starting the sleeve the pattern said to increase from 25 stitches until I got 41, and then cont. in stocking stitch until the piece measured 6 1/2" from the cast on edge. I got to 6 1/2 " before I got to 41 stitches but I figured the # of stitches was more important than the length and perhaps it was a typo in the pattern so i kept going til 41 stitches. At 41 stitches, my piece was 8".

I am using the right gauge as that was the first thing I always check so I know it's not that which is causing a longer raglan edge on the sleeve than everywhere else...

someone pls help.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
If you increase 8 stitches twice on the knit side and then knit as is until reaching 6 1/2" I think you will be okay.

Yes, the back does look funny but stay with it and when it is finished you will see it all works out.

Don't change the pattern...

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I looked at the directions for the raglan sleeve. I assume you are using two needles. Bind off 2 sts at the beginning of the knit row, turn and bind off 2 sts on the purl row. Now the knit side is facing you, decrease one stitch at the beginning of this row, the knit side, by slipping one stitch, knit 1 and pull the slipped stitch over the knit stitch, knit to the last two stitches, knit 2 together. Purl one row, then repeat the decrease row, always on the knit side and purling a row without decreasing.
The instructions on this pattern were confusing to me and I have been knitting most of my life. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Thanks for the help Carol J. I didn't look at the pattern but went from the post and I should know better.

Especially when I holler about people posting for help and not including the link or just saying it's on Ravelry.

Tucking my head. :oops:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Trillium

Looking at the sleeve instructions you should have done about 30 rows on the raglan shaping. Increase from 25 to 41 on each edge would be 16 / 2 = 8 increase rows spaced 4 apart with 3 knit then 2 straight therefore 35 in total. If the tension / guage notes are right 20 rows = 4 inches so should be around 6 1/2 to 7inches.

Are you increasing at both ends of each increase row? That's the only thing I can think of.

Hope this helps
Anne
Trillium15 said:
I have only been knitting for 2 mos. and this is my first attempt at a sweater for my niece. (size 12 mos)

http://remoteimages.marymaxim.com/sites/us/production/images/freepatterns/6776P.pdf

I am knitting the first sleeve and as I cast off on every alternate row to reduce the stitches down from original 41 to 11, the raglan edge seems to be much longer on the sleeve than it does on the front left raglan edge or the back raglan edge. Is this because it's a hoodie? Am I missing something. Is it supposed to be like that or did I do something wrong somehow.

My first 'flag' was after starting the sleeve the pattern said to increase from 25 stitches until I got 41, and then cont. in stocking stitch until the piece measured 6 1/2" from the cast on edge. I got to 6 1/2 " before I got to 41 stitches but I figured the # of stitches was more important than the length and perhaps it was a typo in the pattern so i kept going til 41 stitches. At 41 stitches, my piece was 8".

I am using the right gauge as that was the first thing I always check so I know it's not that which is causing a longer raglan edge on the sleeve than everywhere else...

someone pls help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dear Friend, I have printed out your pattern, and am looking at the raglan shaping of your sleeve at this moment. You first cast off 2 sts at beginning of next two rows, then you decrease 1 st at each end of next row, and then every other row until 11 sts remain, making 15 decease rows at each end. You increase your stitches before starting the raglan shaping. If you reach the length at the end of your increasing then I start to decrease with a knit roww then. Hope that this helps you with your garment. Best wishes. :) Jessie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom