Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to realize that while I really do love knitting I hate the weaving in the 'tails/ends' when I'm done. I now have 2 completed projects that are just sitting there with loose yarn waiting to be finished and given away and there will soon be a third after this evening.
There must be an easier way. I find that what is frustrating for me is how much should I weave in? 1-2 inches, 3-4 inches? And what about larger items where i had to keep adding yarn so I have all these tails.
And I always tie little knots because I don't feel that just weaving them in is enough and what about that last little bit that's just there. It's loose and can come out and I know it will because I have a beautiful knit sweater that has bell sleeves and I found that little tail and kept playing with it and now it completely came out and I don't know what to do with it.

I read on here that someone uses fray-check for that little bit so it doesn't stick out but that didn't work for me. What is your secret? How to you weave in your ends and is there a trick that I just don't know about yet?

·
Registered
258 Posts
No, you're not the only one who hates weaving in ends. I hate it too with my crochet. I could crochet over the ends but sometimes it's hard. I usually weave in the ends when I've done a couple of rows just so that it stays neat.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
When I add a new ball of yarn I alternate the old yarn and the new yarn by carring the ends behind like fair isle floats for a few stitches and when I am finished I don't have to weave the ends in. they are already done. The small ends that stick out can be secured with fabric glue. Just a drop will work. Other ends I like to leave long enough to use a darning needle to weave the ends in with. It is much faster than a crochet hook. I think most of us worry about our knitting coming undone and probably over weave.
I also like to use the magic knot, it depends on the stitch I am doing and how I feel. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely over weave and only use a crochet hook to help me make tiny knots. I will look into the fair isle again to see if that will work for me in adding a new ball of yarn. Thanks for the tips!

JanieSue said:
When I add a new ball of yarn I alternate the old yarn and the new yarn by carring the ends behind like fair isle floats for a few stitches and when I am finished I don't have to weave the ends in. they are already done. The small ends that stick out can be secured with fabric glue. Just a drop will work. Other ends I like to leave long enough to use a darning needle to weave the ends in with. It is much faster than a crochet hook. I think most of us worry about our knitting coming undone and probably over weave.
I also like to use the magic knot, it depends on the stitch I am doing and how I feel. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
I do it much like JanieSue.... as I go and use cast=on tails for seams.... When I am using my darning needlethat curves up a little, I make sureto run the yarn in a couple different directions... It is less likely to work out.. When weaving in as I go by flipping/alternating yarn, I may actually do a couple of catches when coming back on the next row for the same security. If I left it all till the end, there is a good chance it would never get done....

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Redwilley said:
Dreamweaver said:
When weaving in as I go by flipping/alternating yarn, I may actually do a couple of catches when coming back on the next row for the same security.
How do you do the catches that you refer to?
If you still have a longish tail or end hanging as you come back on the next row... capture or wrap that tail with the working yarn for a couple 2-3 stitches. (Twist the tail around the working yarn.... anything to carry it a few stitchs in the opposite direction..) Alternatively, just give it one twist as you come to it a few times to capture it in a downward line... just anything secures the yarn in more than one direction. The more turns something takes, the less likely it is to pull out when stretched.... Does that make any sense? We really need instant video ability.....I can show you but I don't know if I can describe it well enough.....

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,142 Posts
This is why some folks actually make folding money finishing others' knits!

Being cheap and convinced no one will do it to suit me, I just avoid designs that require more than a few stitches sewn.

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
This is why some folks actually make folding money finishing others' knits!

Being cheap and convinced no one will do it to suit me, I just avoid designs that require more than a few stitches sewn.
And what a smartie you are to do just that!!!!! I don't think there is enough money in the world to tempt me to finish someone else's project..... and I'm flat broke most of the time.......

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,142 Posts
Actually, there once was a small shop on Long Island run as a charity's fund-raiser. Besides selling yarn and notions, they had volunteers who did nothing but sew up cute little outfits that others had knitted, but paid dearly to have finished for them!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've been using the back join method lately and I love it. I knit for three stitches with the ends and then I can just cut them. Considering how much I like to incorporate stripes, this is really helpful. If I do have ends to work in, I wait for a very complicated tv show or movie that I want to pay more attention to than usual.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I sometimes knit my ends in as
I usually knit my ends in as I go, but if I don't, I sew them one way for about 6 stitches then I go the opposite way then back again so it is the shape of an S then you can be assured the end won't unravel, hope this helps xx

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i dislike it also
sassycraft13 said:
I've come to realize that while I really do love knitting I hate the weaving in the 'tails/ends' when I'm done. I now have 2 completed projects that are just sitting there with loose yarn waiting to be finished and given away and there will soon be a third after this evening.
There must be an easier way. I find that what is frustrating for me is how much should I weave in? 1-2 inches, 3-4 inches? And what about larger items where i had to keep adding yarn so I have all these tails.
And I always tie little knots because I don't feel that just weaving them in is enough and what about that last little bit that's just there. It's loose and can come out and I know it will because I have a beautiful knit sweater that has bell sleeves and I found that little tail and kept playing with it and now it completely came out and I don't know what to do with it.

I read on here that someone uses fray-check for that little bit so it doesn't stick out but that didn't work for me. What is your secret? How to you weave in your ends and is there a trick that I just don't know about yet?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too had this problem. Looked in lots of books for ideas and one was touse a sewing machine on a very slight zig-zag and do two rows of machine stitching really closeb to the edge. It took me three sewing machines before I found the one which suited me.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I use a Russian join/splice for just about everything so there's no "ends" to weave in.

Even when you attach yarn to say knit a neckband on a sweater..I take the end and splice it into the working yarn, then start knitting.

I use the Russian join/splice when adding a new skein, changing colors, if I come to a knot that needs to be cut out..I pretty much use it for everything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As creative people, we have the creative itch to start a new project instead of finishing up the current one. We know exactly what the project we are currently doing will look like. The excitement for us is to start a new one so that we can create once again. This is what keeps us going as artists!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom