Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to A.C.Moores yesterday, I found a great 18" doll the same size as the American girl. Looks like them. They are only $19.99 at regular price. With coupon you can get your models at a very reasonable price. I know that some are trying to find the model dolls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
I have one of those and have been scoping out the department stores. Walmart has an 18" doll that is comparable as does Kmart. These stores have shoes and furniture as well as the dolls and clothes so if you are looking for the whole kit and caboodle so to speak these are a bit more affordable than $75 for a bed from American Girl
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chrissyf said:
I have one of those and have been scoping out the department stores. Walmart has an 18" doll that is comparable as does Kmart. These stores have shoes and furniture as well as the dolls and clothes so if you are looking for the whole kit and caboodle so to speak these are a bit more affordable than $75 for a bed from American Girl
Thanks, I only need the doll to make clothes for my great niece, who will get one when she is a tad older. But I will tell her mother to keep a look out. Sally
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Please be very careful using these dolls for models. I have and after making a terrific dress for one of the grand daughters - it did not fit the AG doll. They are a little bit larger around and believe it or not they can vary in size anywhere from 1/2" to a 1 1/4". I have since bought my own dolls (from Ebay) that is how I know they vary in size plus the 4 grands daughters each own at least 4 each! Yes we are hooked! I generally sew the outfits but I am looking for a good dress to knit. I am sending the picture of the sweaters I crocheted for them a few years ago.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I got my doll from Pat Catan's for $19.99 and it is the same as the AG girls I meassured her (Molly) with the actual AG girl the girl I babysit for has and they actually look a lot alike also!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
toys r us has an 18 inch doll It's called the juourney doll. i bought one for 39.99 or around that price. the reason i got that one is her soft torso doesnt start at the neck it starts at the chest. she looks better in tank tops and low cut fashions. the( ag doll) the soft body starts at the neck which i didnt care for. Lorene
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
Also Annie's Attic catalog and on line has them, but you take a risk as to whether you get a flesh colored body or a white body.They are undressed and about $22.00 plus shipping.
Also, The Lakeside Catalog and on line has a very nice one, dressed in an outfit and a pair of shoes (which can cost up to $8 here!) for $16.95. Have one of each...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,691 Posts
salsalady said:
toys r us has an 18 inch doll It's called the juourney doll. i bought one for 39.99 or around that price. the reason i got that one is her soft torso doesnt start at the neck it starts at the chest. she looks better in tank tops and low cut fashions. the( ag doll) the soft body starts at the neck which i didnt care for. Lorene
as a doll collector I have been facinated with the American Girl doll series.. but I have to agree.. I'm not liking the fabric that shows with some outfits.. I'm glad its not just me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I'd like to say something about the American Girl Doll company. I salvaged my granddaughter's American Girl Doll from the wreckage of their home in Brick, NJ after Hurricane Sandy destroyed the contents of their house. I called their customer service asking about the best way to clean this doll. They told me that they stand behind their dolls 100%, to toss the doll out and to tell my granddaughter that her doll went to their doll hospital. They sent a new doll just like hers, wearing a hospital gown. I realize their products are expensive, but now they're my favorite company!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,490 Posts
I believe that Gypsycream's dolls are Springfield dolls (Elaine, please correct me if I'm wrong). In any event, her patterns (and I've made quite a few) have all fit my Springfield doll perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
patsisler said:
Please be very careful using these dolls for models. I have and after making a terrific dress for one of the grand daughters - it did not fit the AG doll. They are a little bit larger around and believe it or not they can vary in size anywhere from 1/2" to a 1 1/4". I have since bought my own dolls (from Ebay) that is how I know they vary in size plus the 4 grands daughters each own at least 4 each! Yes we are hooked! I generally sew the outfits but I am looking for a good dress to knit. I am sending the picture of the sweaters I crocheted for them a few years ago.
Love them. Thanks for the doll information. There is no doubt that Miss Tinley will own more than one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,490 Posts
Sorry - I meant to say Ladyfinger's dolls, not Gypsycream's. Got my dolls and bears mixed up, guess I need another cup of coffee! LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
781 Posts
Thanks for this reference chart!
rjhandmade said:
http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/sizecharts.jsp on the american girl doll site there is a chart of the sizes this might help some of you who don't have a doll available.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom