Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finished knitting and felting these wonderful slippers by our own AmyKnits. I'm actually making them into snow boots. I added about two inches to the height and have sprayed them with the first layer of water repellent. After I get the water repellent finished, I'll add the rubber soles and the Ugg insoles (purchased from Zappos for $15.00). I knit them with Patons Classic Wool Roving - Taupe; 2 full skeins (purchased from Smileys Yarns for $3.99 per skein) and Knit Picks Brava - Sienna; small amount from 1 skein (purchased from Knit Picks for $2.00).

I apologize for the poor picture quality. Even with overhead light and using the flash, they turned out pretty dark and I don't have any good photo editing software on this system.

Attachments

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Those are fantastic... I missed that pattern by Amy.... I'll have to go hunt as those would fill two requests.. GD wanted UGG type boots and DD wanted warm slippers. Looks like a winner to me. What type of rubber sole are you going to add? I think the picture is fine and kudos to you for making outdoor boots out of the pattern.... Mine would probably end up looking like two left feet.. but what a fun project. That is something I could do for DH too. He complains of cold feet a lot and those would help polish the wood floors at the same time - minus the rubber soles.... Great job!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. AmyKnits' pattern deserves all the credit, though. It's well written and a very simple pattern to make up. I knit them in two days, during my "TV time."

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dreamweaver said:
Those are fantastic... I missed that pattern by Amy.... I'll have to go hunt as those would fill two requests.. GD wanted UGG type boots and DD wanted warm slippers. Looks like a winner to me. What type of rubber sole are you going to add? I think the picture is fine and kudos to you for making outdoor boots out of the pattern.... Mine would probably end up looking like two left feet.. but what a fun project. that is something I could do for DH too. He complains of cold feet a lot and those would help pollish the wood floors at the same time - inus the rubber soles.... Great job!
Here's Amy's pattern: http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-39704-1.html

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Thanks for the link.... DH just may get warm toes for his early Feb. birthday... Now to check out my wool. I have some roving that I've been wanting to spin too... Hmmmm. Love the contrasting cuff... It even appears to have a different texture..... (DUH... it is different.)

EDIT... I mind is a terrible thing to waste. I went to look at pattern and discovered I commented on it and marked the pattern... It was in Oct. maybe I'm starting to have that dreaded short term memory loss!!!! Thanks for the memory jog....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dreamweaver said:
Thanks for the link.... DH just may get warm toes for his early Feb. birthday... Now to check out my wool. I have some roving that I've been wanting to spin too... Hmmmm. Love the contrasting cuff... It even appears to have a different texture..... (DUH... it is different.)

EDIT... I mind is a terrible thing to waste. I went to look at pattern and discovered I commented on it and marked the pattern... It was in Oct. maybe I'm starting to have that dreaded short term memory loss!!!! Thanks for the memory jog....
I used the Patons Classic, the same as Amy, but I'm sure any pencil roving would work just as well. The top is made with a non-felting yarn, so you can roll it down over the top of the slipper. So, any non-felting yarn would work.

BTW, you asked about what I use for the rubber soling... I got a large piece of rubber soling material from a cobbler shop on Ebay, to resole some mukluks. I got some contact cement which is made specifically for soling from the same shop. You just cut the soling material, apply glue to both the sole and boot, and then you need to clamp it down while it dries. I actually found some cheap shoe forms in my size (also on Ebay) and put those in the mukluks, applied the soles and just used heavy rubber bands to clamp them. Worked like a charm. I'll do these the same way.

The shoe forms are hard plastic and full foot size, so they give a good hard surface to clamp to. Here's a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Clever girl!!! You really researched and found all the parts. Great idea of the shoe forms.... I have a set that cans be adjusted that might work for the felting process to get both the same size... while they dry. This will be a fun experiment.... Maybe for the gluing I could be the living clamp and just put them on and stand still while I iron.... Multitasking for a good cause.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom