Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to knit my other half a sweater. He only likes "plain" knitting - no fuss. The pattern is a round neck raglan sweater. What other stitch can I use that doesn't look too fancy, but will stop me from being so bored row after row of stocking stitch. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Maybe try seed stitch or a basketweave on the top part of the sweater. I did a sweater for my hubby that was stockinette about 1/2 was up then a few rows of garter ... after that I did a pattern of k5, p5 across for 3-5 rows then alternated the pattern for the next 3-5 rows. I can post a picture if you want to see it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rossi said:
I am going to knit my other half a sweater. He only likes "plain" knitting - no fuss. The pattern is a round neck raglan sweater. What other stitch can I use that doesn't look too fancy, but will stop me from being so bored row after row of stocking stitch. Any suggestions??
what about a seed stitch? you could do a swatch and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Have you thought of a simple cable sweater? I made my husband a sweater, just a plain raglan pullover, which he wore out once, and now won't let me donate to Good Will. Men can be hard to please. I know it's time to do the laundry when I catch him wearing his hand-knitted socks.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
m2hvnfn said:
Maybe try seed stitch or a basketweave on the top part of the sweater. I did a sweater for my hubby that was stockinette about 1/2 was up then a few rows of garter ... after that I did a pattern of k5, p5 across for 3-5 rows then alternated the pattern for the next 3-5 rows. I can post a picture if you want to see it.
Please post stitch pattern, it sounds lovely and easy!

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
m2hvnfn said:
The first on is the pattern I did for my hubby ...

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/easy-favorite

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/father-pullover
this is the same one I made.. I was thinking in your previouse post that is sounded like the one I made.. :)

I don't think you will be board with this (top pattern) sweater pattern and I think it will be plain enough to make your other half happy too....

·
Registered
617 Posts
I like the "spot stitch" It is the same gauge as stockinette but less boring and gives a nice texture. You knit 3, purl 1, knit 3, purl 1, across row.
Row 2. Purl back. Then on
Row 3 stagger the "spot" by starting with knit 1. continue purl 1, knit 3, purl 1 etc.
Row 4 purl back. Repeat.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
http://www.knittingfool.com/StitchIndex/KF_StitchAppearanceCatalog.aspx

I'm hoping you might find something in this stitch catalog link to inspire you. I agree that a simple cable could be a good solution--unless that seems overwhelming to you. Another suggestion would be a simple rib pattern. There are many variations that give just a little texture, without being too fussy for your "keep it simple" guy.

Good luck finding a perfect option--and Happy Knitting!!!

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Get a Netflix account and stream you favorite movies or old TV series and knit boring old stockinette. You will be able to concentrate better on the movies so the boredom will pass quickly or you won't even notice it. Boredom can be GOOD. Be sure to repeat that often: boredom is good, boredom is good ...!

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
You could do something on the order of a Gansey. That's stockinette on the bottom, and the yoke is patterned. Instead of the elaborate Gansey patterns, you could do a fairly simple, repetitive stitch like sand stitch, which is K1, P1 across the RS row and knit the WS row. It's just a bit of texture.

A couple of cables on the stockinette would liven things up. Don't combine with the idea above.

And don't forget to add pockets if your pattern doesn't already have them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thank you to all who posted ideas and links. Such beautiful ideas. Now I don't know which pattern I want to do first. I just wanted to read what was on KP before going to bed. Now I'm so excited about these new patterns I don't know if I'll be able to sleep!!!! I'm so blessed to have children & g-children who love what I knit for them. -Rachel

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many thanks for all these great suggestions. I have not yet decided which one I will do. I quite fancy the fisherman's rib or may just stick to plain stocking g stitch and enjoy watching TV without having to concentrate!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom