Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to knit scarves and never seem to know what width and length I like best. What about you? What are your favorite sizes for scarves? Scarves for men should be slightly wider and shorter, right?

·
Registered
21,297 Posts
I've made them all sizes but you are right, mens scarves should usually be wider and shorter. BUT, it depends on the man you're knitting for. A teen might like it longer than an older man, who might like it shorter. Best just to ask!

·
Registered
10,968 Posts
eberry5134 said:
I like to knit scarves and never seem to know what width and length I like best. What about you? What are your favorite sizes for scarves? Scarves for men should be slightly wider and shorter, right?
A lot depends on the recipient (not all men like wide scarves) and the intended wear - meaning, is it to be a fashion scarf? Then thin, longish, and fancy. Is it to keep the neck warm under a coat? Then short and medium width. Is it to keep the face warm at 40 below? Wide, dense, and really long to wrap around a few times!!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
It depends on the personal preference of the person you are making the scarf for, and how that person wants to wear it, I think. My friend and I were discussing this recently. Neither of us are very tall and we seem to look overwhelmed by a wide long scarf. It looks all too much. So we prefer narrow scarves. Another friend is tall and very slim and can "carry off" a long scarf whether it be wide or narrow. My husband prefers his scarves wider and rather likes them long enough to double and loop thru.
Some people say that a good rule is to make the scarf as long as the person is tall. For charity knitting I do not make them too long but with a bit of width, a long trailing scarf could be a problem to a homeless person.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Since I have been working on a scarf recently I can tell you that I make it more to the size of the person who is getting it like KnittingVal.
For my 5' sister I made a Feather and Fan that was 1 stitch pattern narrower and shorter than the pattern called for, so she can wear it as a mid length wrap, pin closed cowl or Jabot. For my 6' friend I made her pebble stitch scarf 5" longer and one inch wider coming out at 8" and 63" long.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think it was LLBean where I saw a man's scarf that was 72inches long. I know I made one 60 inches long for my 26 year old son, and he gave it away because it was "too short" but the girl he gave it to was very happy with a plain black alpaca fingering weight scarf.
By all means, ask what the recipient likes, my husband's is short 48-50 inches and about 12 inches wide. It is the same one he had in high school and he's 69 now. but I cannot get him to wear anything new.......grrrr

·
Registered
21,891 Posts
IMHO if you knit for a man it is better to ask what size he wants the scarf but if you are selling the scarf then make it a standard length so the male can wrap the scarf however he wants. I tried a shorter version of a male scarf for sale at a display we were holding and only had one male scarf. Had a man come to look and he was disappointed that the only scarf that a man could wear was so short.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I knit my scarves longwise and I cast on about 240 stitches. Then I can make it as wide as my boredom lets me. I hate to start on the narrow end cause by the time it is two feet long I am so tired of it. This other way works great for me. The ones I make are all donated to breast cancer survivors so the lengthwise and a lace pattern work perfect for me. This makes a scarf that goes from hip joint to hip joint and that seems to be the prefered length for what I do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom