Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you age disadvantaged kiwis out there!!!

Do any of you remember a booklet, about 16 pages, that had Maori kowhaiwhai designs for knitting?

I believe it was oribinally a pull-out from NZ Herald, or NZ Women's Weekly. I have been trying spasmodically ( yes been reading the dictionary again!) for months to obtain a copy.One came up for auction on ebay about 18 months ago and I missed out.

As I remember the booklet was put out by one of the yarn companies, possibly Shepherd, Onehunga Woolen Mills, Kaiapoi, or other Auckland based wool suppliers. And I got my copy from the printing company in Denbeigh Ave, Mt Roskill, Auckland. But of course, its been long missing, and I cant find anything like it on the net.

Love to hear from you.

Madkiwi

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Sorry can't as yet aid your search, just wanted to...

:shock: :shock: ancient (70's)
:-( :-( I was born in the 70's!!!!
now i really feel old...

:roll:
hope you find what you seek ... apart from the slap up the back of the head, that my son would have gotten if he'd called something from the 70's ancient. :)

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
crochet_away said:
Sorry can't as yet aid your search, just wanted to...

:shock: :shock: ancient (70's)
:-( :-( I was born in the 70's!!!!
now i really feel old...

:roll:
hope you find what you seek ... apart from the slap up the back of the head, that my son would have gotten if he'd called something from the 70's ancient. :)
Someone born in the 70s is NOT ancient! They are in the prime of life.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flyssie said:
Hi Madkiwi
Just a thought - have you tried the archives for the paper and Women's Weekly?
Good luck
Oh yeah! But they want me to PAY!

And BTW I was born in 1942! So who;s ancient? Besides, knitters dont age, they just get more experienced. Its the pattern that's ancient!

Luv 2 all

Madkiwi

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I just read it and thought WHAT!!! cheeky mare...
i looked but mostly only fair isle patterns came up in the search.. sorry.
they are very complex designs.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crochet_away said:
I just read it and thought WHAT!!! cheeky mare...
i looked but mostly only fair isle patterns came up in the search.. sorry.
they are very complex designs.
Yeah! Cheeky mare is just right.

But the patterns I'm looking for are fairisle type, three colours carried across the back of the knitting. Not hard but as you say complex. A sort of wide inlaid stripe across the chest, or just above the ribbing.

Madkiwi

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
madkiwi said:
Yeah! Cheeky mare is just right.

But the patterns I'm looking for are fairisle type, three colours carried across the back of the knitting. Not hard but as you say complex. A sort of wide inlaid stripe across the chest, or just above the ribbing.

Madkiwi
:thumbup: hopefully someone can help, maybe if got all the details from kiwiannie you might find it :D

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kiwiannie said:
I do have my book,but it's very well worn and held together with cellotape,it'so deilapidated I wouldn't be able to get it photo copied.It has Maurene Kingie on the front of it.
Can you not scan it into your computer and then PDF it? Sellotape not an issue - can cope with that

Madkiwi

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW I found an entry on NZ Trademe which seems to be what I want. The trouble is Trademe wont accept my email account. I wanted to contact the seller, but cant . Jo...? dated April / May 2012. A 1979 booklet. Could anyone make enquiries on my behalf, and then PM me. I went to Google and typed in "knitting patterns maori designs" and the TradeMe site came up,

PLEASE!!!! Pretty please with sugar on?#

Madkiwi

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom