Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies,
I was honored yesterday when I was asked by the director of our local Womans Center to knit burial gowns and blankets for babes.

I have never made anything like this. And don't want to make any misstakes. I know what a difficult time it is for all involved.

SO I am asking anyone that may have ideas I can use if they would share.
I did find a simple little gown that is open on both sides (closes with buttons) and has long sleeves. The skirt section can be knit using any stitch. I like it best so far, since I can make it for a boy or girl with very easily.

Hoping for your ideas and thoughts. Many thanks,
Linda

·
Registered
16,213 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hello,

These are a few I have bookmarked.

http://www.ygoh.org.au/general_info/sewing-patterns

http://www.bonniebabies.co.uk/knitting.htm

I can not find the link on charity I am waiting to hear from.

Another thing, some charities are asking for sets of 2. Gowns, blankets, quilts, etc. The parents can keep the same set in a memory box of what their baby was placed in when they said their final Good Bye (sorry, finding this bit hard to find the words)

Well Done to you. I love making the items I send on.

Edit: You can not do anything wrong. Just make up what you like. Keep in mind, what you send on, take photos, note of pattern, so if charity come back saying " These ....... were great" can you make more, then you have a guide which one.

·
Registered
759 Posts
LEE1313 said:
Hi ladies,
I was honored yesterday when I was asked by the director of our local Womans Center to knit burial gowns and blankets for babes.

I have never made anything like this. And don't want to make any misstakes. I know what a difficult time it is for all involved.

I did find a simple little gown that is open on both sides (closes with buttons) and has long sleeves. The skirt section can be knit using any stitch. I like it best so far, since I can make it for a boy or girl with very easily.

Linda
Hi Linda. Although my link is in England, there are some lovely prem and burial gown patterns to knit and crochet on this site, and there are other links from there you could look on. You will be doing such an important job, and your efforts will be greatly appreciated. Terri.

·
Registered
759 Posts
LEE1313 said:
Hi ladies,

Linda
Hi Linda. Although my link is in England, there are some lovely prem and burial gown patterns to knit and crochet on this site, and there are other links from there you could look on. You will be doing such an important job, and your efforts will be greatly appreciated. Sorry I forgot to put the link in (senior moment again!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/your_community/ray_of_hope
Terri.

·
Registered
18,278 Posts
Hello Linda, thank you so much for doing these items.My little grandson was born sleeping and here where i live they never did anything for parents that had lost their darling little babies.I knit now for the hospital and sad to say they are always wanting more.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Hi Linda. What a lovely gesture. My link is also English and it's called On Butterfly Wings which I think is a lovely name. There are many patterns for " angel babies".

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh ladies,
Thanks so much for all the links. I have made notes on all of them. And will meet with the director next week for her approval.
And no thanks are needed for me. I can't remember the last time I felt so absolutely wonderful for the honor of doing this for others in need.
I am looking for a nice box to present the outfits in. SOmehow the "gift bag" doesn't seem appropriate. I'll keep looking.
I would also like to include a crochet cross I make. Do you think this would be alright? It really is a bookmark, but I thought it might be nice for the parents to have.

Your ideas have been wonderful and appreciated.
Many thanks, Linda

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
LEE1313 said:
I would also like to include a crochet cross I make. Do you think this would be alright? It really is a bookmark, but I thought it might be nice for the parents to have.

Many thanks, Linda
On the issue of the cross, I'm sure it would bring comfort to many, but also keep in mind that some parents may not be Christian--I would mention this to the director, since there's probably a note about religious beliefs on the family's charts. I remember when I was having my babies that the hospital asked me.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh that is a great idea. Maybe I'll just make the crosses and they can decide which boxes to put them in. Many thanks, Linda
Sorlenna said:
LEE1313 said:

Many thanks, Linda
On the issue of the cross, I'm sure it would bring comfort to many, but also keep in mind that some parents may not be Christian--I would mention this to the director, since there's probably a note about religious beliefs on the family's charts. I remember when I was having my babies that the hospital asked me.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sorlenna said:
LEE1313 said:
Perhaps a small knitted heart or flower would be a nice touch for those who are not Christian.

·
Registered
16,213 Posts
MamaBonz 55 said:
Sorlenna said:
LEE1313 said:
Perhaps a small knitted heart or flower would be a nice touch for those who are not Christian.
I like that idea.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yes perhaps a heart would be nice. Thanks for the suggestion.
I am collecting so many wonderful ideas to present next week for approval.

Thanks to all my KP buddys. You're tops in my book/
Many thanks. Linda

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom