Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I know that there is apparently a difference in cashmere depending on where it comes from - that is, the goats raised in different regions produce different quality of fibre (besides often being different breeds)

Also, while it is true that in general angora comes from rabbits, there are angora goats. But in this case, I`m thinking they are talking region (Angola)

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Wheatie said:
The fiber from Angora goats is called Mohair- reguardless of where it comes from. Angors fiber comes from rabbits.
Isn't there a country called Angola? possibly in Africa.
Fibre from *any* goat is called mohair; fibre from cashmere goats is the only kind that can be called cashmere; Angola is in Southern Africa.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
lawrencji said:
I ordered some yarn off ebay - just what is Angola Cashmere?
I copied this from the Internet: Angola Wool.The produce of an African breed of sheep; is a soft hairy wool. Is used for making Angola shawls and gloves, valued for their extreme softness and warmth.
Hope this explains a bit about Angola wool :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! It is indeed soft.
Friederike said:
lawrencji said:
I ordered some yarn off ebay - just what is Angola Cashmere?
I copied this from the Internet: Angola Wool.The produce of an African breed of sheep; is a soft hairy wool. Is used for making Angola shawls and gloves, valued for their extreme softness and warmth.
Hope this explains a bit about Angola wool :thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
scroll down on the page and one finds "angora" mohair / which as you note mohair comes from angora goats

RoxyCatlady said:
I know that there is apparently a difference in cashmere depending on where it comes from - that is, the goats raised in different regions produce different quality of fibre (besides often being different breeds)

Also, while it is true that in general angora comes from rabbits, there are angora goats. But in this case, I`m thinking they are talking region (Angola)

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I WOULD NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA NO MATTER HOW CHEAP OR NO SHIPPING IT IS. I look at all labels when shopping and if it says China anywhere on it I pass.
You really have to watch, too as lots of labels say made for... and you find that it is from China too.
If enough of the population would not purchase things from China then the stuff with the bad ingredients or harmful stuff shipped to the US could be regulated

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yorkie1 said:
I WOULD NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM CHINA NO MATTER HOW CHEAP OR NO SHIPPING IT IS. I look at all labels when shopping and if it says China anywhere on it I pass.
You really have to watch, too as lots of labels say made for... and you find that it is from China too.
If enough of the population would not purchase things from China then the stuff with the bad ingredients or harmful stuff shipped to the US could be regulated
I know what you mean. I try and be conscious of this and buy most of my yarns from local companies whose yarn is made/grown and processed in the U.S., or I spin it myself, but occasionally I lapse, which is what happened with this. Sometimes I see things and just have to check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I assumed it was Angora. I bought some of this from Ebay, knowing that I get what I pay for and as long as it was 50 ish percent Angora I was happy. I had our Chinese sourcing agent at work read the label and he had a hard time explaining. it refered to the cattle - he said like South American, think he was thinking of alpaca, but it isn't alpaca, probably Angora (no L in chinese perhaps?) however the 48 percent he said 'chemical' as in man made. I am still happy with what I got but it does NOT appear to be cashmer in this case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies to lady above who found Angola sheep, I checked what it said about the sheep qualitities and don't think it was used in this Chinese Angola Cashmere, not an expert though, just based on how it looks and feels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom