Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five in 10 days - that is how many of our peace-keeping troups have died in Afghanistan.

Tonight's TV news tells of the 3 who died today, including our first female soldier to die in combat and a dad who leaves behind four young children.

My prayers go out to their families.

The Taliban blew up their Humvee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,955 Posts
Hilary4 said:
Five in 10 days - that is how many of our peace-keeping troups have died in Afghanistan.

Tonight's TV news tells of the 3 who died today, including our first female soldier to die in combat and a dad who leaves behind four young children.

My prayers go out to their families.

The Taliban blew up their Humvee.
That is so terrible. May Jesus please help the families of the victims and comfort them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
Thank GOD somebody took notice and is praying for their families, especially the children they've left behind and their friends.

Please, LORD, have mercy and stop the heartless killing everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,782 Posts
It is just so sad. I cried watching the news the other night. They showed the funeral of one of the soldiers from Long Island that was killed last week by an Afgan. security person that was trained by us. They are turning on us. We need to get out.
Bless all the soldiers and their families. God hold them in his hands. Let there be peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,378 Posts
It is heartbreaking! I can't imagine how helpless the families must feel knowing their loved ones were so far away when they passed. Troops are out of Iraq, but they've just been moved to Afghanistan. Time for them to come home! Too many young lives wasted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,470 Posts
lovethewaterandknitting said:
When will every end?!
That is very simple: when people stop volunteering to to go kill others in foreign countries where we have no business being! While it is tragic and the loss is terrible, today we have no mandated draft and people are chosing to participate in wars of greed and power for the 1% at the expense of the everyone else.

If you want to pray, pray for some sanity that results in better, more conscious choices that people make. These deaths have no justification which is the ultimate tragedy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
tamarque said:
lovethewaterandknitting said:
When will every end?!
That is very simple: when people stop volunteering to to go kill others in foreign countries where we have no business being! While it is tragic and the loss is terrible, today we have no mandated draft and people are chosing to participate in wars of greed and power for the 1% at the expense of the everyone else.

If you want to pray, pray for some sanity that results in better, more conscious choices that people make. These deaths have no justification which is the ultimate tragedy.
well said I agree with every word.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,702 Posts
The world has never learned...History is supposed to teach us how not to make the same mistakes in the future but it seems to go unheeded. I can understand how we got into WWII but this present day mess? No way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,378 Posts
tamarque said:
lovethewaterandknitting said:
When will every end?!
That is very simple: when people stop volunteering to to go kill others in foreign countries where we have no business being! While it is tragic and the loss is terrible, today we have no mandated draft and people are chosing to participate in wars of greed and power for the 1% at the expense of the everyone else.

If you want to pray, pray for some sanity that results in better, more conscious choices that people make. These deaths have no justification which is the ultimate tragedy.
I'm sure you are not blaming the people who volunteer for the armed services for there being wars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,448 Posts
tamarque said:
lovethewaterandknitting said:
When will every end?!
That is very simple: when people stop volunteering to to go kill others in foreign countries where we have no business being! While it is tragic and the loss is terrible, today we have no mandated draft and people are chosing to participate in wars of greed and power for the 1% at the expense of the everyone else.

If you want to pray, pray for some sanity that results in better, more conscious choices that people make. These deaths have no justification which is the ultimate tragedy.
The US has no draft. But many countries do. The people have no choice. Do you think the soldiers in Iraq and such want to be there fighting? We have men and women in our military, do you think they WANT to be there? We have to have a military or we open ourselves up to invasion. We'd end up with war on our home land. I for one certainly do not want that! Do I agree with all the wars our country gets involved in? NO I do not. But I do believe we need a military, and Thank God for those brave men and women who do volunteer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,702 Posts
I agree a strong military is necessary. And I think the military has saved many a young person from going down the wrong path. I personally know of several examples of that. But I think some of our ventures into other domains haven't been to our advantage...the politics involved get very complicated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,607 Posts
War accomplishes only ONE thing -- the killing of people. This "war" in Afghanistan is about the war going on between their people. All other countries need to but out of it. There was only one reason for the countries to get involved in Afghanistan and that is because the George W Bush himself, decided he was God and cried NATO when he decided to invade Iraq. Shame shame that it was the future USA citizens who have to pay for his sins. It does not matter to the widow, widower, orphans, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers of the dead that they were killed in the line of duty. They are dead. Get the soldiers out of there. A dead heroic solder brings cold comfort to the loved ones left behind. A dead heroic soldier is still just dead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Barbara Ann I totally agree with you. I am a veteran my grandaughter just graduated Basic training and her sister is going in to the AirForce acadamy.As for those who say they should not volenteer.They look on it as an honor to serve their country. Where would most of us be is their was no military.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,378 Posts
5mmdpns said:
War accomplishes only ONE thing -- the killing of people. This "war" in Afghanistan is about the war going on between their people. All other countries need to but out of it. There was only one reason for the countries to get involved in Afghanistan and that is because the George W Bush himself, decided he was God and cried NATO when he decided to invade Iraq. Shame shame that it was the future USA citizens who have to pay for his sins. It does not matter to the widow, widower, orphans, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers of the dead that they were killed in the line of duty. They are dead. Get the soldiers out of there. A dead heroic solder brings cold comfort to the loved ones left behind. A dead heroic soldier is still just dead.
I'm not sure we can blame any one person for a war. After all, the United States government is set up so no one person, or branch of government has more power than the others. The president can only make decisions that the Senate and House of Representatives allow him to make. So if anyone wants to blame Bush, blame the Congress that allowed him to send troops into Iraq, too. Obama did promise to bring all the troops home, haven't seen that either. I do believe we need to have a military in our country, and I am very grateful for the sacrifices the military personnel and their families make. My mother lost her brother in WWII. My brother is a 20 year veteran of the Air Force, and my daughter has several friends in the military.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom