Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great work! Do you sell them in the stores, or just to friends? Do you mind me asking how much you charge? My husband keeps telling me to sell my knitted items, but I wouldn't have a clue what price to put on them. Thanks for sharing!

JD

·
Registered
428 Posts
i knit said:
Another sweater done going to do up a hat but wanted to share now. I have 2 more orders to fill too, how cool is that getting paid for something i love to do!!!
I like your sweater very much. Clean and simple lines. Not a lot of other stuff on it. Keep up the good work. :p
Mary in VT

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much everyone makes me feel great to read the comments. I really just love to knit & get excited to see how things turn out, baby showers, new arrivals & my own grand babies! Its so hard for me to come up with a price the woman who ordered this sweater bought the yarn & buttons so i said $10 but usually i get $25 for a sweater & hat if i buy the materials.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Quality work for sure. And the truth is we could never really get what the sweater etc. is really valued at. When you think about it, if a sweater takes like I don't know, 6 hours and they are only paying you $10.00 if they buy the materials, or even $25.00 and you buy materials, means you actually only make about $2.00 an hour.

It's is a good thing we enjoy knitting and crocheting so much.

Linda

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh i know Linda but as long as i can buy my yarn & buttons this girl will keep knitting! I use it as a relaxer even watching tv i cant just sit still, love to donate to hospitals a few times a year here in our area, the nicu & social services. I just put the needles away its my bedtime!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kay...the pattern is www.geocities.com/joyjannotti/babycardiganpattern. I found it back in 07' it only goes up to a 12 month but i just made the sleeves & body longer followed it otherwise!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I tried to go to the site and get the pattern and it says it is no longer available. Isn't that the way, when you find something that know would knit up perfect for some baby you can't get it. I, too, only put knitting down at night cause I have to go to bed. And I hate to stop. If I have a project going I want to see the results. Have a blessed day everyone.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
You are too cheap. I am trying to sell my stuff and struggling with prices. I know I will never get the full value of my work. I did a baby blanket about 2-3 yrs ago, crochet. It was gorgeous---25 hours to do with a complicated pattern. I decided to give it away before selling it for nothing. My son and his partner became pregnant and I gave it to them along with a more utilitarien one that could be machine washed. I hope they consider the complicated one an heirloom and keep it for that.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Very nice. I'm sure this baby will love it and look darling wearing it : )

·
Registered
12,216 Posts
Beautiful work! But I agree with the comments about not charging enough. When I first started out at craft fairs, I learned this rule for pricing my items: twice the cost of your materials plus your time. That's why I don't knit for the shows anymore. The time element is the killer. What are you worth? Sure, you love doing it and it passes the time. But "inexpensive" isn't "fair." Just glad you enjoy doing this and getting some extra money for it. I find that people are not often not willing to spend the money for the quality of the work. The sweater is beautiful, so soft looking and I'm sure it'll be appreciated. Keep up the great work. jb

·
Registered
237 Posts
jberg said:
Beautiful work! But I agree with the comments about not charging enough. When I first started out at craft fairs, I learned this rule for pricing my items: twice the cost of your materials plus your time. That's why I don't knit for the shows anymore. The time element is the killer. What are you worth? Sure, you love doing it and it passes the time. But "inexpensive" isn't "fair." Just glad you enjoy doing this and getting some extra money for it. I find that people are not often not willing to spend the money for the quality of the work. The sweater is beautiful, so soft looking and I'm sure it'll be appreciated. Keep up the great work. jb
I was looking at your rule for pricing and the time element is that let's say if it took you 12 hrs and the cost using you formula was 15.96 would you just add the 12 + 15.96 getting 27.96 for the price on the sale of the item? I just needed some clarity. Thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom