Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is having a little baby girl!!!! I have already decided (and started) to make her a little sundress that is unfortunately meant for a 3 month old. She is going to be born in July so she will have a few months more of summer to grow into it.

So here's my question,
Is that enough of a baby gift or should I make something else? Can you guys please give me some ideas that would knit or crochet up decently quick? My sorority is planning her baby shower and we are looking at it being sometime in the beginning to middle of May so, I don't really want something that will take a long time since the dress is going to take long enough. (I've never tried to make clothes before)

Thanks,
=D

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Are you kidding me? A handmade dress is an excellent present on its own. But if you want to do more, wash cloths are good, quick items. Search here for some really nice ones for babies. Cocoons also go up quick. Again search here.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
That sounds like a cute idea. Don't worry about the baby growing out if it too soon, cause if it ends up fitting the baby in winter time, she can always wear it with a long sleeve shirt.

If you have time, maybe a matching hat; even if it's just the same yarn that would be cute. But if you don't have time, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you still want something else to give but don't have time to knit anything else, just buy some socks, diapers, or anything else a new baby needs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol...ok. I don't know how to do iCord so I have basically vetoed doing a cocoon at the moment but, I have a lovely knitting shop thats really close to both my dorm and my house that is really willing to help me out. I am thinking about making a little baby unicorn for her.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-unicorn

Does this look to be enough?

(ps: I'm on a Mac so I don't understand copy & paste so thats why its not really in a link)

·
Registered
30,455 Posts
There are some cute Maryjane patterns for shoes. You could make a hat to go with the sundress or a cute headband. I would just complete the outfit and that would be enough for a present. I would think. Maybe a small toy to go with it. There are also some cute binky holders to go around the neck I have seen on KP that were knitted.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Oh, that unicorn is too cute! He's crochet but if you can crochet you should go for it! I'd sew his eyes with yarn and not use buttons since it's for a baby.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Those little unicorns are cute. You know how to crochet, right?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Baby Suprise Jacket.. Booties, mittens, and hat.. These are all gifts that I made for my friends and relatives..

Also,... A baby blanket is something that the baby will use for years.. it could very well be their favorite blankie.. I know the ones that I made for my grandchildren are the ones that they still sleep with at least until about age 5.. then they want a bigger one!

·
Registered
71,708 Posts
That's very cute, I agree with using yarn for the eyes too.
Circular needles really aren't difficult to use once you get the feel of them.
If the sundress is done in the round, just make sure you don't twist your stitches when you join.
You can start it flat, meaning just don't join it to work in the round until you get to the 4th row or so, then, go ahead and join, just make sure you have the right side facing out, and that way you won't have to worry about twisting stitches at the join and then just stitch up the little seam that is left at the end.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree with all of you. I have a pattern for some quick crochet booties that I was thinking of making but given my little niece is due in July they may be a little too warm..so I will have to go hunting for booties on ravelry.

How does this sound:
Dress, headband, booties, and the friendly little baby unicorn?

Does that sound like the perfect little amount for the present? I definitely want to make the little unicorn..so adorable. Everything should whip up quickly besides the dress.

I definitely would use yarn for the eyes since I am really good at making teddies/other animals so I really only use yarn since buttons or other such things could be a choking hazard.

=D

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
This is a gift for a baby shower that you are going to put time and thought into. It is not a potlatch and there is no such thing as "enough." You cared to make something, and you cared to do something that would take thought and effort. Make what you can, make it as well as you can, and relax.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have made several 5 hour baby sweaters for showers and they have received rave reviews from new moms. They are quick to knit up and there are no seams to sew as it is all one piece. You could knit it in a complimentary colour to your little dress and she could wear both well into the winter months. Matching booties or a little hat to match.....all quick projects....and you have a lovely gift for the shower. As for circular needles....once you have used them you will likely never go pack to straight needles. If your pattern calls for knitting one side and then the other side (like knit one row, purl one row) as you would straight needles, you do exactly the same thing with circulars. If your pattern asks you to join the circle of stitches together then you knit in the same direction all the time. The needles will not get in your way and the cord carries the bulk of the weight of your project. I also find that if my project is a particularly heavy one..like a blanket or adult sweater..I place a small light pillow on my lap just to help lift the project up so there is very little weight pulling the circular needles down. I do this because I have arthritis in my hands...this would not likely be a problem for you. I bought my first cirular needles over 20 years ago and have not knit with straight needles since.
The best of luck with this wonderful gift you are making for your sorority sister.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Alina-Jeanluc2: I am also a Mac person. Try this to see if you can get an item linked. Use the "less than" symbol(<) before and the "greater than symbol after (>). See if that works. Also I love my iMac.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Make the unicorn first. See how much time you have and don't stress about it. Whatever you make will be fine. Circular needles are not difficult and once you start using them, you'll want to use them all the time since they are so much less cumbersome than straight needles.

Here is an easy pattern for baby booties that can be knit on straight needles (knitting on circulars on small projects is not the same as on large ones). I'm doing them now. Quick too.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/my-version-of-baby-shoes-pattern

You are very kind to spend so much time on this. Good luck to you and your sorority sister.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom