Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted to make your wrap longer (it's a rectangle)....have any of you added a lacy edge to both short ends? I need a relatively FAST knit edge to possibly add to the Estonian-style wrap I'm making for my daughter. Lily of the valley pattern. I can also crochet.

I'll see if I can attach a picture of the body's pattern.

If I don't answer right away, I have to go to sleep..going cross-eyed from knitting so much.

Christine

Attachments

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
It is lovely... are you sure you need to make it longer? What does your daughter think?
Personally, I would want to be careful not to do anything to take away from the gorgeous stitch pattern. Perhaps a gentle narrow ruffle... not really fluffy?
Waiting to see how it looks when you block it.... it will be larger when you block it... you may want to do that before you decide about any additions.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,339 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Do you crochet? If so, a shell or single crochet might give you enough of an edge. If not, I'd look on Ravelry for "knitted edgings". Some of the knitting pattern treasuries have sections that just show edgings.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
knit4ES said:
It is lovely... are you sure you need to make it longer? What does your daughter think?
Personally, I would want to be careful not to do anything to take away from the gorgeous stitch pattern. Perhaps a gentle narrow ruffle... not really fluffy?
Waiting to see how it looks when you block it.... it will be larger when you block it... you may want to do that before you decide about any additions.
good morning....well 430a, as I couldn't sleep.

My daughter won't be seeing it ahead of time. I had her look at shawls and she picked out this stitch pattern and I went from there. I got the length of her back, nape to waist, and that's how I determined the width. I actually swatched! kindof...lots of different patterns, different needle size but that gave me the go ahead for pattern (was it too difficult etc) and needle size to use.

That's what I was going to do! :)....wash and block, see how it looks and go from there. I won't do anything fussy to interfere with the flower patterning of the body of the wrap. And I left the long edge with a bit of lacy looking stitch from the "slip one purlwise with yarn in front"..it's slightly loopy at the edge...don't know if that will disappear with blocking.

thank you for your ideas!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
My inelegant solution to the same problem was to pick up stitches on both ends, cast on as many, and knit a mitered square onto each end. http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JessicaJean/anniversary-stole
ahhh....the mothers of invention. Good job on the additions! Old Shale has got to be my favorite, mindless and the most bang-for-the-buck, pattern. It makes all yarns look good (saying this after taking an "ugly" dyed yarn and knitting old shale with it).

I love how you did the pattern-stockinette st alternating, and colors, too. Very pretty...VERY useful. I bet you can use this wrap all the time..wrapped in years of marriage :)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Viwstitcher said:
Do you crochet? If so, a shell or single crochet might give you enough of an edge. If not, I'd look on Ravelry for "knitted edgings". Some of the knitting pattern treasuries have sections that just show edgings.
I'll do that right now and yes, I crochet. I thought of crochet, too, because it will be faster....which is what I need right now as the wedding is in 3 weeks!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viwstitcher said:
If not, I'd look on Ravelry for "knitted edgings". Some of the knitting pattern treasuries have sections that just show edgings.
Have you done this search before? how did you do it? ie, what did you click on first, etc. When I first read your post I thought "oh yeah..know how to do that" but when I just did it, I'm not sure I got what you were intending me to get (phew! did that make sense???)

·
Super Moderator
87,339 Posts
Chemchic said:
Have you done this search before? how did you do it? ie, what did you click on first, etc. When I first read your post I thought "oh yeah..know how to do that" but when I just did it, I'm not sure I got what you were intending me to get (phew! did that make sense???)
One search: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=edgings&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1&sort=best

Another: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#pc=edging&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs

Or you can just use the edging from another pattern. I love the long, heavy edging from the Trinity Stitch Shawl and have used it on many other patterns.
Original: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JessicaJean/trinity-stitch-shawl
Second: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JessicaJean/blanket-poncho
Third: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JessicaJean/slip-stitch-sampler-throw

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Chemchic said:
good morning....well 430a, as I couldn't sleep.

My daughter won't be seeing it ahead of time. I had her look at shawls and she picked out this stitch pattern and I went from there. I got the length of her back, nape to waist, and that's how I determined the width. I actually swatched! kindof...lots of different patterns, different needle size but that gave me the go ahead for pattern (was it too difficult etc) and needle size to use.

That's what I was going to do! :)....wash and block, see how it looks and go from there. I won't do anything fussy to interfere with the flower patterning of the body of the wrap. And I left the long edge with a bit of lacy looking stitch from the "slip one purlwise with yarn in front"..it's slightly loopy at the edge...don't know if that will disappear with blocking.

thank you for your ideas!
You have put a lot of thought and beautiful knitting into a wonderful shawl for your daughter. Jane Sowerby shows a variety of borders she has added to rectangular shawls in her book "Victorian Lace Today". The patterns for the borders are in the book. Martha Waterman has a section in her book "Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls" on page 74 called Lace Edging Patterns. It has edgings that are perhaps made with thinner yarn and others that look to be made with heavier yarn. Perhaps you can find other examples in books in your local library. These are just ones I have.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BC said:
You have put a lot of thought and beautiful knitting into a wonderful shawl for your daughter. Jane Sowerby shows a variety of borders she has added to rectangular shawls in her book "Victorian Lace Today". The patterns for the borders are in the book. Martha Waterman has a section in her book "Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls" on page 74 called Lace Edging Patterns. It has edgings that are perhaps made with thinner yarn and others that look to be made with heavier yarn. Perhaps you can find other examples in books in your local library. These are just ones I have.
You see?? just need a little noggin jiggle.....I have that book and totally forgot about it!
thank you thank you!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
One search: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#query=edgings&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1&sort=best

Another: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#pc=edging&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs

Or you can just use the edging from another pattern. I love the long, heavy edging from the Trinity Stitch Shawl and have used it on many other patterns.
whoa! so simple! one word and to the point and all those search results. I probably put too many words in my searches, J-J. There is a lot to pick from there. I think I will PIN a lot of those for the future.

I think I have the edging narrowed down. I want it to be easy to see/read (chart!) and knit and I'm getting ready to block the "center"(which might be large enough, but I think it needs finished edges).

Jessica-Jean...thank you for the links and mostly, seeing all those shawls. Do you wear them? I have one that I've knit and it's a milk cotton blend and I love the way it feels. Seems like I always go to it to wear.

Christine

·
Super Moderator
87,339 Posts
Chemchic said:
... Jessica-Jean...thank you for the links and mostly, seeing all those shawls. Do you wear them? I have one that I've knit and it's a milk cotton blend and I love the way it feels. Seems like I always go to it to wear.

Christine
I have knitted/crocheted too many shawls, and - no matter how many I've given away - I still have far too many to wear them all with any regularity. I do wear shawls though. Instead of a jacket, over or under a jacket/coat/parka, instead of pajamas (!), in addition to pajamas, while working in the kitchen, while out shopping, while watching TV (when the temperatures aren't in the heat-wave numbers!). I do not wear shawls while riding my bicycle, though knitted scarves/cowls/caps/gloves/mittens are bike-compatible.

I need to give away more shawls! If ever the ones that are now WIPs should be completed, I haven't anywhere anymore to put them!!!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
I have knitted/crocheted too many shawls, and - no matter how many I've given away - I still have far too many to wear them all with any regularity. I do wear shawls though. Instead of a jacket, over or under a jacket/coat/parka, instead of pajamas (!), in addition to pajamas, while working in the kitchen, while out shopping, while watching TV (when the temperatures aren't in the heat-wave numbers!). I do not wear shawls while riding my bicycle, though knitted scarves/cowls/caps/gloves/mittens are bike-compatible.

I need to give away more shawls! If ever the ones that are now WIPs should be completed, I haven't anywhere anymore to put them!!!
<<<snicker>>...............me, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom