Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking I'm addicted to good quality circular needles but prefer wood over metal in most cases. I do have a BOYE older complete set with the zip case but am not happy with the stiff cords.
I also have Knitpicks Harmonies and a cloth Lantern Moon case for them and love those needles!!!! Now I'm thinking about getting a second set of Knitpicks in in their light Sunstruck. However, I'm not a fan of the plastic case that Knitpicks come in, though.
Anyone have recommendations on either interchangeable sets that have a good case included (again, maybe interlocking/wood needles) or just a good case to keep my gift-to-myself needles in? I'm tempted to use my BOYE case and shelve the BOYE needles, but I'm sure there are more helpful suggestions from you KPers! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
81,205 Posts
In the Fishing and Hunting section of some large retailers or in a speciality shop dedicated to fishing, you'll find a nifty case - intended for flies? - with an all-around zipper, rings to hold the heavy-duty plastic 'pages', and those 'pages'. I like it for my circulars and the interchangeables too. If you google in Google Images for 'fly wallets', you'll see bunches.

While I like the NeedleMaster and the new (as in newer than 1970!) case, it will only suit another set that has the same needle size range. If your set is metric and has sizes that are between the US sizes, you won't have enough places for them all. I bought one years ago just to consolidate the two sets (They used to put out a set of the finer sizes and a set of the larger ones, so I had to big, bulky, weak packages.) my mother'd bought me back in the early 70s. Perfect! Still use them too.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Raybo said:
The Denise needles have a great case (specific spaces for each item) but I've not been happy with the needles themselves.
THanks! I'll check this out! Doing my research today.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
In the Fishing and Hunting section of some large retailers or in a speciality shop dedicated to fishing, you'll find a nifty case - intended for flies? - with an all-around zipper, rings to hold the heavy-duty plastic 'pages', and those 'pages'. I like it for my circulars and the interchangeables too. If you google in Google Images for 'fly wallets', you'll see bunches.

While I like the NeedleMaster and the new (as in newer than 1970!) case, it will only suit another set that has the same needle size range. If your set is metric and has sizes that are between the US sizes, you won't have enough places for them all. I bought one years ago just to consolidate the two sets (They used to put out a set of the finer sizes and a set of the larger ones, so I had to big, bulky, weak packages.) my mother'd bought me back in the early 70s. Perfect! Still use them too.
Good idea! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
m2hvnfn said:
knitwitconnie said:
m2hvnfn said:
I like the Lantern Moon zip cases. I am sewing one up myself ... more affordable for me. But they are nice if you want to spend the $$. http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/lantern-moon-needle-case-p-3824.html
These are very nice as well. I like the zipper case effect. Ah, now I have choices! Thanks!
I'm going to be sewing mine up this week. I will post you a picture when I'm finished. If you like it, we can talk!!
Sounds good! Wish I could sew well enough to try something other than a cheap pillow, oh, wait, I can't even do that very well!
Sigh.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THIS SET SOMES WITH A BEAUTIFUL CASE. I just found it on line. Anyone use these needles before? I have one ChiaoGoo wooden needle fixed circular that I love. Not sure if the cords are as flexible as knitpicks, but this sounds good. I'd post a picture, but I can't figure out how to do that in this reply page. It's on Handsome fibers website.

ChiaoGoo SPIN Interchangeable Complete Set
The ChiaoGoo SPIN Complete interchangeable set features the same bamboo needles and nylon cords that you know and love. The needle tips feature a lifeline hole that makes adding a lifeline as simple as knitting across the row. The sets come packaged in an elegant black and white case with a black ribbon. The case is compact (6" x 8" closed) with 29 inner pockets for tips and one outside zippered pocket.

Each set includes:
13 pairs of 5" (13 cm) needle tips.
US sizes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10.5, 11, 13, and 15 / Metric sizes 2.75, 3.25, 3.5, 3.75, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 8, 9, and 10 mm.
3 "S" cords and 3 "L" cords to make circular sizes: 24" (60 cm), 32" (80 cm), and 40" (100 cm).
One "S" cord connector and one "L".
Two "S" end caps and two "L".
Two cord keys.
Stitch markers.
One needle gauge/ruler.
One elegant, compact fabric case for storage.
Review this item

Your Price: $140.00

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My Hiya Hiya needles came with a beautiful brocade case that was very impractical for me. There's no place for the cords except if you wind them up to fit in the zipper pocket, then they stay wound up when you take them out to use them. Also the case only closes with ties which don't really hold it securely closed.

My vintage Boye set (1970s) came in a nice sturdy case with places for everything, but the needles themselves are getting elderly like me and some have been lost or broken... ah well there's no perfect way that I've found. All the cases shown here are pretty pricey.
Jessica-Jean, thanks for the idea of checking the fishing tackle guys. I've found some other things there that were really practical, like fly totes for my buttons, etc.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AmyKnits said:
I have purchased this case for all of my needle sets. It has room for all your needles, zippered pockets for cords and accessories and best yet.... only costs $15.00!

They have several pretty patterns.
I have my wood set in one pattern, my metal in another and my cubics in yet another different pattern so I can just pick up and go.

http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/knitting/yarn/KnittersPride/FabricInterchangeableNeedleCase.asp?showLarge=true&specPCVID=39426
Very nice! Thanks. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I really like the needle case for the Boyes, and have considered using it for other needles. However, I still use the Boye's for certain projects that need pointy needles and a stiffer cord (like afghans or things knit with heavy wool).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jessica-Jean,

You always have the coolest suggestions. I did Google "Fly Fishing Wallets" and found so many that were actually pretty! Who knew? Now I have a new section to check out in our local stores.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I highly recommend Erin Bags, http://www.etsy.com/listing/110752348/double-duty-knit-pack-for-2-sets-of. I just bought my Knitters Pride Nova set at Stitches East and then strolled over to the Erin Lane booth to buy a bag to keep them in. I really love her bags. I like the way the needles fit snuggly and there are pockets for cables and what nots. Best of all, it closes with a magnet and is washable. My bag has cute sheep on it.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone! Lots of good ideas.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom