Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • If you're seeing this message, it is because you do not meet the requirements to start a new For Sale thread. Members need 20 posts and 30 days registered. If you do meet these numbers, it can take up to an hour for permissions to update.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Women Ministries group at my church (Northbrook Covenant Church) will be making "pillowcase" dresses (see the site dress a girl around the world). The pattern calls for pillowcases but we will also be making them out of fabric. Our dresses will be sent to Africa. The dresses are used to help keep girls out of the human trafficking plague. The Central Conference (IL, IN, WI, MI, MO) of my denomination (Evangelical Covenant Church) has a goal of 500-1,000 dresses made by Sept. 2011.

If you have any dress fabric (cotton, cotton blend) at least 1 yard or pillow cases you are able to donate, please contact me. We can also use trim, bias tape, buttons and decretive appliqués. Contact me if you have any questions!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This should have read "decorative". That will teach me for doing spell check! Spell check spelled it wrong!
Donations can be sent to:
Women Ministries
Northbrook Covenant Church
2737 Techny
Northbrook, IL 60062

bonster said:
The Women Ministries group at my church (Northbrook Covenant Church) will be making "pillowcase" dresses (see the site dress a girl around the world). The pattern calls for pillowcases but we will also be making them out of fabric. Our dresses will be sent to Africa. The dresses are used to help keep girls out of the human trafficking plague. The Central Conference (IL, IN, WI, MI, MO) of my denomination (Evangelical Covenant Church) has a goal of 500-1,000 dresses made by Sept. 2011.

If you have any dress fabric (cotton, cotton blend) at least 1 yard or pillow cases you are able to donate, please contact me. We can also use trim, bias tape, buttons and decretive appliqués. Contact me if you have any questions!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumbup: Thank you so much! I will look for it and let the office manager at the church know! :D

·
Registered
796 Posts
There is a website called freecycle.com that you can post that you're looking for fabric to be donated. You can perfect your locale on the site to within a 50 mile radius (to save postage) so people can drop off the material. Tuesday afternoon, I just met up with a lady (in supermarket shopping ctr) from the next county from me and gave her 3 large boxes of fabric & notions that a senior lady from church asked me to pass on to someone that needed it. The fabric was large & small pcs along with sewing notions. You might want to look into that. It's a pretty good website. It doesn't cost anything to post your request, nor do you pay for anything either. Good Luck.
P.S. my brother lived in Morton Grove for over 30 yrs. He just moved in with us a yr and a half ago after his wife passed away unexpectedly (no children). He would take me to knitting stores in Lake Charles, Glenview, etc. I would go to one in Champaign/Urbana that I just loved.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip. It's such a small world, isn't it!?! This is such a great site to connect with others!
grandmatky said:
There is a website called freecycle.com that you can post that you're looking for fabric to be donated. You can perfect your locale on the site to within a 50 mile radius (to save postage) so people can drop off the material. Tuesday afternoon, I just met up with a lady (in supermarket shopping ctr) from the next county from me and gave her 3 large boxes of fabric & notions that a senior lady from church asked me to pass on to someone that needed it. The fabric was large & small pcs along with sewing notions. You might want to look into that. It's a pretty good website. It doesn't cost anything to post your request, nor do you pay for anything either. Good Luck.
P.S. my brother lived in Morton Grove for over 30 yrs. He just moved in with us a yr and a half ago after his wife passed away unexpectedly (no children). He would take me to knitting stores in Lake Charles, Glenview, etc. I would go to one in Champaign/Urbana that I just loved.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW! I can't believe the response I have gotten! We also will need thread (I forgot about that), bias tape, trim (any kind), etc.! I have connected with a local person through this site who wants to come help with our sewing night! I am totally blown away by all this. There are so many wonderful people out there! Thank you thank you thank you!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am overwhelmed by the response to my request for fabric! My church is making dresses which will be sent to Africa (as well as other places depending on where the missionaries are going). I forgot about needing thread (maybe I've been knitting too much :lol: ). We also need bias tape, lace, grograin ribbon (1/2" - 3/4" is perfect) anything to "fancy them up". I always thought people on this site are caring people and now I KNOW they are! If you would like to donate you can send the donation to:
Women Ministries
2737 Techny
Northbrook, IL 60062
If you include your address we will send you a tax letter for your donation (if you know the approximate value we will include that. If you don't know we will make our best guess).
A big THANK YOU to everyone who already donated. One member who lives near me is even going to help with the sewing! It's a small world! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It's great that you have gotten good response to your request.

I did a lot of those 'Little Dresses for Africa'---used up a lot of my bits and pieces of trim, elastic, bias, fabrics. A lot of fun to do---sent off a big box and received a very nice thank you.

Blessings.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't wait to see how creative people will be with this project. We are making them for Dress A Girl Around The World (they have a website). They actually make them out of pillowcases but will use fabric and make them like pillowcases. A lot of the dresses have gone to India. I like looking at the site to see the kids and also to get ideas for our dresses. Every little bit helps!
ompuff said:
It's great that you have gotten good response to your request.

I did a lot of those 'Little Dresses for Africa'---used up a lot of my bits and pieces of trim, elastic, bias, fabrics. A lot of fun to do---sent off a big box and received a very nice thank you.

Blessings.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have bins and bins of fabric but mailing it would cost a fortune. I would have to go through it because there are all different types I'm wondering if anyone from your ministry lives near Orland Park that I could bring it to. Let me know if you are interested. [email protected] I would be happy to donate it for such a worthy cause.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will! We probably won't get started on the actual sewing for a while. We're collecting materials now and we have other events coming up at the church (bridal shower, plant sale, etc.). We are meeting tomorrow night to get everything planned and hope to start the actual sewing the third week of May. People are getting fired up for the project. My friends daughter, who is in the fifth grade, came home from school the other day and said "Mom, do you know that there are people who steal children and take them away and make them into slaves. We have to do something NOW". Her teacher at school was talking about human trafficking. Brianna(daughter) is so fired up and wants to help. I don't think people realize how wide spread human trafficking is. There are over 27,000,000 human beings caught in the trap. Yes, Brianna, we have to do something NOW!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We can use less than a yard pieces too. They make great pockets. We also need thread, bias tape, trim, etc. There are no real "pattern" for the dresses so we can get creative with what we have. Donations can be sent to:
Women Ministries
2737 Techny
Northbrook, IL 60062
If you include your address I will see that you get a tax letter. If you have an approximate value, that would be great. If not, we'll take our best guess. Thanks! I can't wait to get started on the project. Everything is falling into place. Once we get it going I'll include some pictures (if I can figure out how to do it)!
Have a Blessed Easter :)
KnitKnut said:
Will you only take full yards? I have fat quarters and half and third yards left over from quilting. I have yard measurements too.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A lot of the girls who are stolen do not look like they "belong" to anyone. The dresses make them look like they belong and are cared for, that someone would be looking for them. That is my underdtanding of that part of the project. Many who are stolen are runaways. The dresses also go to girls in poor countries. For many, this is the only dress they will own. There is a website: Dress A Girl Around The World that has a lot of information.

I have gotten a tremendous response for donations! I was going to set a goal of making 75 dresses (which seemed out of reach) by our Fall Fellowship (Women Ministries) the end of Septemeber thinking we would have to raise funds to purchase supplies. Now I want to raise our goal to 200!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom