Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an unfinished dollhouse over 20 years ago. It took a pandemic to get me to finish it. I thought that each day I could post one room. This is what it looks like from the front. I created stucco by adding sand to the paint. The second picture is an overview of the rooms. Stay tuned for a house tour beginning tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,235 Posts
I love dollhouses. I had a friend who had several. They were all so authentic, fully decorated and wired for lighting. Yours is wonderful and I commend you for finishing it. I had some patterns for knitting and crocheting some accessories for doll houses. Would you be interested if I can find them?

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dunnville89 said:
I love dollhouses. I had a friend who had several. They were all so authentic, fully decorated and wired for lighting. Yours is wonderful and I commend you for finishing it. I had some patterns for knitting and crocheting some accessories for doll houses. Would you be interested if I can find them?
Yes. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will describe the furnishings as I go along but in general I tried to make as much as I could from scratch. I also bought a whole bunch of random items many years ago and where I could, I repainted and or decoupaged or reupholstered. I also bought some of the more significant pieces ( like the piano) on the internet. I bought basic lumber and flooring from Miniatures.com as well as a company called Minimumworld com. Most of the wallpaper is gift wrapping. Stay tuned here for tomorrow’s tour of The Music Room/Art Gallery.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
casers said:
Can hardly wait! I bought one many years ago. My place is only 1,600 sq. ft. so it is hard to display it.
Where did you purchase your furniture?
See above. More info tomorrow.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beachgirl1000 said:
How fun! I love seeing the little miniature furniture and tiny accessories! A perfect project for this winter!
Exactly. When the world is spinning out of control, there's no place like (a miniature) home

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Your dollhouse is wonderful. I can appreciate all the time that it took to build it.
My FIL won a dollhouse kit for my MIL in a raffle. He was handicapped and could not put it together. My MIL would never been able to do it. So I told my FIL that I would build it and he could give it to MIL for a Christmas present.
I started working on it in August. Everyday I would do a little bit on it. I also built furniture from furniture kits that were sold then. And I cross stitched several Christmas pieces for the house. It took me an entire day to do the shingles and the siding when Christmas Eve was around the corner. It was a labor of love. My MIL and FIL are both gone now. So the dollhouse is up in our attic.
I think that I built it in 2003. I still have all the furniture and furnishings. I did display it for several years. But our house is too small to have a place for the dollhouse right now.
Now waiting for our granddaughter who is 1 to be old enough for it.
If I get up in the attic I will post a picture of it.
Am looking forward to seeing the individual rooms.

Funny story. My DHs cousin bought a dollhouse for their daughter for Christmas many years ago. Christmas Eve he thought that he better open the box and put the dollhouse together for her. He had no idea that inside the box were 20 large pieces of thin wood with all the many, many small pieces on each sheet.

·
Registered
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jpacquin said:
Your dollhouse is wonderful. I can appreciate all the time that it took to build it.
My FIL won a dollhouse kit for my MIL in a raffle. He was handicapped and could not put it together. My MIL would never been able to do it. So I told my FIL that I would build it and he could give it to MIL for a Christmas present.
I started working on it in August. Everyday I would do a little bit on it. I also built furniture from furniture kits that were sold then. And I cross stitched several Christmas pieces for the house. It took me an entire day to do the shingles and the siding when Christmas Eve was around the corner. It was a labor of love. My MIL and FIL are both gone now. So the dollhouse is up in our attic.
I think that I built it in 2003. I still have all the furniture and furnishings. I did display it for several years. But our house is too small to have a place for the dollhouse right now.
Now waiting for our granddaughter who is 1 to be old enough for it.
If I get up in the attic I will post a picture of it.
Am looking forward to seeing the individual rooms.

Funny story. My DHs cousin bought a dollhouse for their daughter for Christmas many years ago. Christmas Eve he thought that he better open the box and put the dollhouse together for her. He had no idea that inside the box were 20 large pieces of thin wood with all the many, many small pieces on each sheet.
That is a funny story! I bought mine from Craigslist. It was put together, but raw. I'm working on a Craftsman style house now that I am refurbishing. After I finish that one I will build one from scratch.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I love doll houses. I have 3 and one in the attic I need to work on. I found little people dolls at a thrift shop. Made a little scratch post for my doll house cat. Look at things in a different way to see if they can be repurposed for your doll house. So much fun. I think adults have more fun with doll houses then children. I think trains are much fun too.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom