Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of tossing out my teflon fry pan and getting the new ceramic pan instead. Has anyone used the ceramic fry pans and if so, would you buy one again? Any particular brand to stay away from?
Thanks, Sandy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
I had one of those Le Creuset pans, I think they are cast iron covered with ceramic. I hated it, wasn't long before the ceramic crazed, it was hard to clean and did not fry evenly, very heavy also. I splashed out and bought a Circulon (in the sale)best pan I have ever had, and believe me, I've tried them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,217 Posts
I had a corning ceramic fry pan years ago and didn't care for it. Everything burned in it very easily, it was difficult to clean because you had to be so careful. I left it on the stove while frying eggs one morning as I stepped away from the stove and for whatever reason it was on the element just fine and then it exploded into many many shards. I will never have another one even though they are supposed to be better now then they were back then. If you have coil style elements I wouldn't suggest this type of pan as the heat transference is not thorough. It heats in the spots directly above the coil but doesn't heat evenly causing you to have over done and under done parts of whatever you are making.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was your Circulon pan a teflon, ceramic coated or a plain pan?

tryalot said:
I had one of those Le Creuset pans, I think they are cast iron covered with ceramic. I hated it, wasn't long before the ceramic crazed, it was hard to clean and did not fry evenly, very heavy also. I splashed out and bought a Circulon (in the sale)best pan I have ever had, and believe me, I've tried them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,297 Posts
I think there's a bit of a difference between the LeCruset, which is porcelain coated cast iron, and the new ceramic coated pans. I love my Le Cruset doufeu and my no-name brand porcelain coated Dutch oven. But the new ceramic frying pans are a completely different animal. We seem to be pretty hard on fry pans in this house, so it was time to get rid of the old Teflon ones. We bought a cheap ($15) one at the grocery store with a white ceramic interior. It cleans up like a charm. We wanted a smaller one for frying eggs and such, and found one on line by the same manufacturer, but more expensive. Got it anyway. The reason for the extra expense was clear -- heavier construction, including the handle. Then we were in Walmart and found a 12" skillet, ceramic coated (gray this time) and we bought it. None of them were too expensive, and all of them seem to work well, and clean up easily. If I have to replace them in a few years, it's not going to be a hardship. Personally, I love 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,135 Posts
sandease said:
Was your Circulon pan a teflon, ceramic coated or a plain pan?

tryalot said:
I had one of those Le Creuset pans, I think they are cast iron covered with ceramic. I hated it, wasn't long before the ceramic crazed, it was hard to clean and did not fry evenly, very heavy also. I splashed out and bought a Circulon (in the sale)best pan I have ever had, and believe me, I've tried them all.
definitely not ceramic, didn't know Circulon made ceramic, haven't seen them here. Just black non-stick heavy based pan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,470 Posts
I know you are talking about the new heavy duty, ceramic thru and thru cookware. I have not used it but if I replaced my waterless cookware that is what I would buy now. They are supposed to be very healthy to use. It is the cookware that Mercola recommends these days as it doesn't out gas or scratch easily. And it is supposed to be an easy clean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,100 Posts
Had one - went in the trash.
Purchased aOrGREENiC pan (is advertised on TV for 19.99) that looks green inside and i love it.
Fries everything perfect, no sticking. :thumbup:
The only drawback is that you have to hand wash, but that is easy to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
I say don't! I bought the Earth Pan & it was beautiful. Until I sauteed mushrooms. The inside bottom turned the color of the mushrooms ~ a very dark brown. It is also covered with scratches. I think a toothpick would scratch it & I am very careful with my p&p's. I am looking for a replacement.
Sherry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,562 Posts
missyern said:
Gave the Circulon to a daughter and bought Tod English Green Pans off the shopping network. I have never loved my cookware so much in all my years.
I bought some of Todd's, also, and use it in the camper because it is lightweight cookware. So it hasn't had lots of use, but has worked very well and cleaned up so very easily(camper is limited on dishwater).
In the house I use stainless steel tri-ply or whatever that layered stuff is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,059 Posts
Tried one..with the blue/grey coating..it was fine for the first couple of months then it started sticking and burning, and I was very careful to handwash and cook on lower temperatures..did not help. I threw it out. Hubby got sold on another one, and I told him it was the same coating as the one I threw out..it was not cheap..$ 35.00 for a small fry pan. I was extra careful, but nope..not gonna last...I actually have to use SOS pads gently to get the thing clean. I personally want some titanium fry pans but WAY too expensive.. $ 400-600 for one pan. I could have bought 2 fry pans and a couple of pots on special at the mall but $ 1,200 was out of my price range!
I have two stainless steel fry pans that I use daily.

June
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,833 Posts
I am thinking...okay so I have been thinking about getting rid of my Teflon coated pans. I am hateing them and want to go with the plain old pots and pans. I am going to check out my local Salvation Army next time I go in there for some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,833 Posts
I am thinking...okay so I have been thinking about getting rid of my Teflon coated pans. I am hateing them and want to go with the plain old pots and pans. I am going to check out my local Salvation Army next time I go in there for some. I can't handle the cast iron ones any more as they are to heavy for me to handle. My Xhusband loves them and got some from yard sales and Salvation Army. But I just want the good old fashioned stainless steel pots and pans. I can throw them in the dishwasher and that would be the end of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,833 Posts
sam0767 said:
I am thinking...okay so I have been thinking about getting rid of my Teflon coated pans. I am hateing them and want to go with the plain old pots and pans. I am going to check out my local Salvation Army next time I go in there for some. I can't handle the cast iron ones any more as they are to heavy for me to handle. My Xhusband loves them and got some from yard sales and Salvation Army. But I just want the good old fashioned stainless steel pots and pans. I can throw them in the dishwasher and that would be the end of it.
Well now how did this happen with all these postings all the same? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
need2know said:
Had one - went in the trash.
Purchased aOrGREENiC pan (is advertised on TV for 19.99) that looks green inside and i love it.
Fries everything perfect, no sticking. :thumbup:
The only drawback is that you have to hand wash, but that is easy to do.
I say yes to this one too, we really like them (we have two).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
I bought the frying pan with the green inside...I hate it. You are supposed to season them ever so often. If I have to spend time seasoning a frying pan, I'll just stick to my iron skillet! That, along with my stainless steel cookware, and that's all I need!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I've been hearing the teflon coated pans aren't so healthy as we believed and a friend tried two of the new green pans and wasn't happy with them. I was schlepping in a thrift store today and noticed most of the pans there were teflon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,833 Posts
k2p3-knit on said:
I've been hearing the teflon coated pans aren't so healthy as we believed and a friend tried two of the new green pans and wasn't happy with them. I was schlepping in a thrift store today and noticed most of the pans there were teflon.
Ya I have checked my Salvation Army store from time to time and have seen mostly Teflon coated pans. I have heard the same thing about them. Reason I want to get rid of mine. I don't put mine in the dishwasher because of the fact that it isen't good for th4e teflon and have had the teflon start to peel and get bad. So mine gets hand washed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
sandease said:
I'm thinking of tossing out my teflon fry pan and getting the new ceramic pan instead. Has anyone used the ceramic fry pans and if so, would you buy one again? Any particular brand to stay away from?
Thanks, Sandy
I have one of the new "inside green" ceramic fry pan, I LOVE IT :thumbup: :thumbup: It washes really well, by hand or dishwasher.
I used to have the ceramic on the outside kind, hated them - they crazed and looked awful. The new green ones are worth the money!
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom